Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Cabin Fest 2008...

I am love, love, lovin' me some air conditioned cabin! Seriously, I should've started badgering my dad into making it summer vacation accommodating years ago. Though I hear that grandchildren are the magic ticket for vacation updates, and we weren't living within driving distance of the place until now anyway, so... que sera sera. I hope to spend many, many more lazy summer weekends there in the future. Just watch... a hurricane will finally fell the place next year now that I've said that.

This was a much needed rest from the busyness of everyday life. We did nothing but read and watch movies and eat junk food and walk on the beach. There was no listing service showing me pictures of houses that I had to go and see NOW! =)

I have realized recently that one of the benefits of eating frugally is that buying nicer groceries can be a big treat. Normally we eat mostly apples and bananas, so it was a splurge for me to get cherries. We don't eat a lot of red meat, other than hamburger, so the crockpot roast I made one night was especially nice. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. It's nice to have scaled back my expectations for everyday groceries lately. It makes smaller things into something special. I don't have to eat out every meal to feel like I'm on vacation.

" One of these things is not like the other..." Who put a new flat screen tv in this 70's paneled room? Weirdness. Thanks, Dad. We've taken it home with us and replaced it with our tv. Hope you don't mind. Just kidding. =)

We have some very nice cabin neighbors. My dad has known them for years, but they put a nice, new house up behind ours a couple of years ago. See that orange sea kayak out there in the distance? We got to take that out on Sunday morning. Phil came by and offered to let us have a test drive. His wife wanted a baby to cuddle, so she volunteered to watch Seth so we could go out. He loved climbing up and down her stairs, and we got 30 minutes to paddle out on the sound. I'm hoping Phil's down there again when we are. =)

"I got up here all by myself, yes, I did. I finally learned to pull up all the way to standing last Thursday. In a minute, I'm going to start crying because I can't figure out how to get down...."

No comments: