Friday, August 15, 2008

Paint colors...

Ok, I'm starting to sweat a little. Looks like we're moving into our first house... and I don't feel like I have much decorating sense. I don't even know exactly what I want my home to look like.

I was talking to David last night, and I realized how much I'd enjoyed the "no pressure" decorating of living in rentals. We had what we had, and we put it up, and that was it, and that was that. It wasn't mine, I'd be moving soon anyway, and I couldn't paint if I wanted to. The carpet and linoleum are what they are, nobody's asking me to decide the exact shade of white for the new crown molding, etc., etc.

Now I'm staring at paint colors on fake rooms on my computer monitor, trying to decide if that yellow is too yellow just on the screen or in real life, scrunching my brow because if I get the wrong color, I'm going to cry when I walk in the door after the nice men in coveralls have been there, spending hours painting my entire house for me.

In light of all that, this post was helpful. (Of course, I'd be thrilled if my house looked anything close to like hers. =) It made me take a deep breath and sit back and try not to stress about this. My home will be what it will be. The most important thing is that its a place of relaxation, joy, and blessing, not that its perfectly perfect. I can't go out and buy a ton of new stuff to put on the walls or new furniture. I have what I have, and with the increase in our monthly living check, I don't see that changing soon. I already have lots of great stuff. I just have to utilize it to the best of my ability, and let it go after that.

Stay tuned for the post where I show you all my interior pictures of the house and ask y'all what you think of my ideas... =)

4 comments:

NotTheMama said...

It'll come!! Have fun with the decorating, you don't get the chance to do it that often!

Anonymous said...

since I have no decorating sense either, I've torn out pages of rooms that I love (and work with my stuff) and try to mimic it within my budget...just a thought:)

Ellen said...

Yeah, Katie. I know what you mean. I used to keep a notebook of those ideas. But after a couple years and as many moves, I stopped keeping the notebook. I figured we wouldn't be be buying for awhile, and it was becoming a source of discontentment, so I gave it up. Now I kinda wish I had it back. =)

Anonymous said...

I've learned through the painting we've done around here this last year, that paint colors never look the same on the computer as they do inside the house. The lighting (or lack there of) really affects them. So, for a true idea, go to the paint store and request an actual sample of the paint, for you to toss up on the wall. At some stores you can do that; at others, you have to pay a couple of dollars. It'll help tremendously. Paint chips from the displays help too, but aren't as accurate.