Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The National Gallery and misc...

Today I got up this morning and worried and prayed and worried and prayed some more for/about David's throat. I called him a few hours after he took his first dose of prednisone, hoping that he'd sound improved. He sounded exactly the same to me. But while I was worrying and praying and rushing around, getting the baby ready to go out, this feeling of peace came over me, and I felt like God told me not to worry about it anymore, that it would really be ok. So I'm trying to rest in that. He still isn't any better tonight, but that's ok. This isn't the end of the story, I'm sure.

Another thing that's been going on with me this week is that this extroverted girl who worried before she had a baby that she'd go crazy alone with a baby all day long finally started to get affected by the alone-all-day-with-a-baby thing. Frankly, David and I were surprised that it took this long to affect me. Settling into a routine and getting used to getting less sleep must've kept me so busy for the last four months that I didn't notice that my busy life had come to a screeching halt. (David reminded me that there was a time when I was a graduate student and a preschool teacher.) I didn't care that it was a huge accomplishment if I got groceries AND put them away in one whole day. But this past week, I started to care. I started to get frustrated that I wasn't doing more than the basics every day. Last week, I realized that we're getting to the point now where Seth and I can do more every day. So, darn it, we are! Summer is here, and the weather is nice, and I do not have to be a slave to his nap schedule. He can still nap in his car carrier in the stroller, so I've got to take advantage of this while I still can!

I decided to start a new summer Bible study, and on Monday, I did the first video session while Seth took his morning nap. That was a huge accomplishment, in and of itself! But I also stepped into high gear on Monday and got the weekly grocery shopping and the laundry done! This was all so that I could go out today and do something I've been meaning to do since we moved back to D.C. Today, Seth and I went to the Court on the Metro for the very first time. We ate lunch with David, and then we strolled on down to the Mall.

And then, Seth and I spent a lovely afternoon together at the National Gallery of Art. There is just something about the atmosphere there that soothes and quiets me. The Gallery is my favorite museuem in D.C. It's cool and serene like no other museum that I've experienced. People speak in hushed tones. Everything echoes a little. You are surrounded by quiet beauty everywhere you turn. There are sofas in the galleries where you can sit and enjoy the minute details of the individual paintings. There are fountains with gently trickling water, and there are seats near them so you can enjoy the beauty. The ceilings are sunroofs, so the changing light from outside changes the lighting in the galleries, transforming the paintings with shifting shades.

Today I spent $5 and got a handheld audio tour. Most galleries had one or two works that had a little tour number next to them, so I just punched in the number and heard a little about that painting and artist. It made the experience so much more enjoyable for me. Seth took a good, long nap snuggled up under a blanket in his stroller, since he'd missed the early naps of the day, and I got to just wander the museum in solitary pleasure, filling my brain and my pleasing my eyes with new information. There is so much more that I didn't see/listen to! I've decided that we're going back at least one other time before we leave D.C. in July.

So here's to getting out of the house and stimulating those brain cells! Yeah!

No comments: