Friday, June 08, 2007

Banquet Piece with Mince Pie, 1635


When Seth and I toured the National Gallery this week, this was the last piece that I saw before we walked out the door. I was getting tired, and I almost didn't listen to the audio commentary on it. I'm really glad that I did. This little image that I stole off of their site doesn't do this masterpiece justice. I love the fine detail in the painting.

This is the scene after the guests have moved on. They have carelessly left quite a mess for their host to clean up. The tablecloth is disheveled; a wine glass is broken. The food in the scene includes many items that were delicacies to the 17th century Dutch. Heda's original audience would've recognized that right away. Those who have eaten this decadent meal ate their fill and pushed back from the table, not bothering to preserve what was left of the expensive food. This speaks to me of dinner guests who are used to a lifestyle of excess and opulence.

There is a clear message in this painting. Heda did not just paint a still life. He wanted to comment here on the emptiness and fragility of the opulent lifestyle. Some of the more obvious symbols of life’s transience are at the left of the painting: a snuffed-out candle and a lemon, only half-peeled. But what really caught my attention was what he said through a simple dinner roll. It is the only food item in the painting that hasn't been touched. In Heda's day, bread was symbolic for the Bread of Life, Christ. Heda's dinner guests had eaten heartily of everything else on that table but Christ, the ultimate food.

I've started a new Beth Moore study on Daniel. The first half of the study will focus on Daniel's refusal to become sucked in by the rich, opulent Babylonian culture. He was offered the finest foods from the king's table, but instead, he pushed it aside to only partake of the food that God had said was best for him to eat. In this study, I've already been challenged to think about what parts of our modern day culture of more, more, more, have taken hold of me. There are so many choices out there. Which ones conform me to sinful things in our culture? Which things should I refuse? Which things take my attention from God and put it on worshipping self? Beth Moore doesn't offer any easy answers, but I am looking forward to probing this topic and learning more about how easy it is for me to become duped by a culture that focuses on me and fulfilling my needs instead of focusing on God and serving Him alone. One thing I know...I don't want to leave the Bread untouched on the table.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is an awesome commentary! Citing you in my Art History paper thanks a ton and God Bless