I saw this cake at a couple of blogs several months ago, and I decided then and there that we had to have it for Evan’s 1st birthday. For one thing, it’s really cute. For things 2 and 3, it doesn’t take long to decorate, and it isn’t something cool that he’d rather have when he’s older, like a tractor or a car.
So here’s the slacker way to do this…. I’ve seen more complicated arrangements elsewhere…
1. Buy two boxes of white Duncan Hines cake mix.
2. Mix the batter according to the box directions.
3. Put equal amounts of batter into 4 bowls.
4. Take out your Betty Crocker gel food coloring and color each bowl of batter a different color. Stir in with a spoon.
5. Take 2 greased 9 in. cake pans and start layering approx. equal amounts of batter into them. Measuring cup of red, splat of blue, etc. Do the 4 color rotation twice in each cake pan.
6. Discover you have some batter left and make some cupcakes with it. You don’t want to overfill the cake pans.
7. Frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting recipe, cover with Skittles and marshmallows, and you’re done!
8. Oh yeah… enjoy seeing the toddler’s faces when you cut into it…. =)