Friday, March 07, 2008

Mentoring night, take 2...

Last night I went to get matched up with my mentee. They had a little meeting and refreshments, and then we were supposed to meet the lady we'd be partnering with for the next 6 months.

As I suspected, there were more younger women, so there are more of us who will be doing peer to peer mentoring. Once again, I was impressed that those in charge were trusting in God, even though this wasn't working in the traditional way they'd been used to. They talked about the friendship of David and Jonathan, and I was struck by several things about their friendship. I'll probably share that later.

Well, the girl that I was supposed to be matched with wasn't there! She was on a missions trip to Mexico, so I guess I'll forgive her. =) I learned that I had actually sat next to her and talked to her some last week! At least I know who she is. She is a couple of years younger than me, in a serious relationship, and looking for advice on becoming a godly wife and mother. At least, that's what her form said. I sent her an email this morning and explained that we already met. Hopefully she's not groaning in agony and thinking of calling and begging for a sweet, older lady right now...

But the reason I'm really writing is about the skit the ladies did last night. I thought it was hilarious, and it brought the point of how to be a good mentor home so much more effectively than if they'd just given a little speech. I can't remember all of it, but it went something like this:

Moderator: Welcome to the Mentor Game! Tonight we have three potential mentors, Truly A. Saint, Sue Permom, and Simply Gracious on our show. They will be introducing themselves to a potential mentee, Ima Novice, and she'll have a chance to ask them questions and pick the one she'd like to be her mentor. Mentors, please introduce yourselves.

"I'm Truly A. Saint. I was saved when I was 4 years old. By the time I was 5, I had memorized all 66 books of the Bible. I was the state Awana champion 5 times, and I spend at least an hour a day in Bible memory and prayer. I'm SURE I can help this mentee with anything she needs."

"I'm Sue Permom. I am in charge of our local MOPs group. I have 7 children... and I homeschool them all. My oldest is watching all the younger children tonight. Training children well is so important. Tomorrow we'll all be going to a Bill Gothard seminar on conflict management for children. I'm SURE I can fit mentoring into my already busy schedule. I've learned to multitask."
"I'm Simply Gracious. I know that I have a lot to learn, but the Lord has been so good to me, and I'd love to listen and try to help with whatever the mentee needs. I know that we can learn so much from each other."

Moderator: Ok, mentee, now you have a chance to ask each of these ladies a question.

Ima Novice: I'm a mom of a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old. I feel like I'm not very good at keeping up with the laundry and housework, and my baby isn't sleeping through the night yet. When my huband comes home, he wants to take us all jogging. How can I tell him that I'm just too tired to go?

Truly A. Saint: Oh, honey. You are going to be fine if you just memorize this verse from 1 Corinthians 10:13: (loud, melodramtic voice) No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. (Silence)

Ima Novice: Ohh-k.

Sue Permom: Sweetie, you're going to be fine. After all, you've only got two kids. I have 7, and I can handle it! I know you're tired, but what you need is some really good vitamins. You know, I sell some great vitamins, and I'd be happy to get you some. Good nutrition will take care of all this. You should make your own bread to be really healthy. I can also get you some wheatberries and teach you how to grind your own grain. That stuff in the store isn't worth anything...

Ima Novice: (looks exhausted)

Simply Gracious: Sounds like you're having a really tough time. I remember how hard it was when my children were smaller. I'll be praying for you during this part of your life. Would it be possible for you to sit down with your husband and talk about this with him? Maybe you could suggest that he take the kids jogging with him a couple of nights and give you a little time to relax. This is a hard season, but the Lord will help you through it.

Ok, I thought this was hilarious. I know some women who dangerously resemble Sue Permom and Truly A. Saint. I've been someone who's been dangerously close to that. It was a nice reminder of the kind of woman I'd like to be, and the kind of woman who I'd to kick out of my personality. I hope I'm a mentor like Simply Gracious...

No comments: