Thursday, June 30, 2011

a thursday morning…

The boys are climbing and jumping all over our flowered Goodwill couch in the playroom. This is something they do every day around this time lately. I don’t care… as long as they don’t beat each other with flying feet, and there is more laughing than crying…

…………………………………………………………………………..

I took them to bowl for the first time this morning. We have a local upscale bowling alley that offers free bowling for kids on Thursday mornings. The staff were really nice, and you didn’t have to rent shoes as long as everyone had rubber soles. We were paired up with another mom and her 3 girls, and the kind ladies working there put in all the names and got the board set up for us. Evan and Seth rolled their balls down the little portable ramp, and Evan eventually learned to say, “I knock the pins down with my ball!” Having to wait our turn made things a little harder, but it was ok…

But we won’t be going back this summer. Sigh. We had to leave before they’d finished the last 3 frames because I was getting worried about myself. At 32 weeks pregnant, stooping down, picking up, and placing 7-9 lb. balls over and over again was too hard on me. I started getting sore and achy. I hate this. I want to be able to give my boys new experiences and fun activities this summer, but it’s getting harder and harder for me. Things are going to have to get more simple around here. I tell myself it’ll be fine for them; they’re not really missing out. But I’m sad about all the things I will have increasing trouble doing for the next several weeks…

………………………………………………………………………..

We ARE going to do the local neighborhood 4th of July parade. I really love it. Everybody meets up in a local cul de sac. Kids decorate bikes and wagons, and somebody pulls a portable CD player blasting patriotic marches. This will be Seth’s first year riding his bike, and I think he’ll feel like a super big kid. Now to figure out how to decorate his bike tastefully…. heh heh. =)

………………………………………………………………………….

I asked David what he wanted me to make for the 4th of July this year. Cherry pie? A nice ribeye? Nope. The man wants hot dogs, chips, and something simple like ice cream for dessert. And he’s right. This year is not the time for me to go crazy in the kitchen. Low key is best, and some of our favorite comfort foods aren’t terribly complicated. If he would be happier with hot dogs than filet mignon, who am I to argue? Actually, this year I feel the same way myself. He did request a nice, juicy watermelon. =) Nothing says 4th of July like watermelon….

No comments: