Wednesday, June 29, 2011

at 5:40 a.m. again…

Up with the birds. Literally. They’re singing up a storm out there. =) I’ll probably go back to bed in 5 minutes, but I was a little uncomfortable, so I got up for a bit…

We’re back from our week at the beach with 4 kids. It started with a bang. David had gone to Tampa to get my nephew and niece, and I was here, feeling all full of myself because I’d gotten everything packed up, and I still had some energy left. (Yeah, that should’ve been my clue to stop right then.) But, no, I had to make some homemade salsa. Soooo, I cut into a serrano pepper for the first time. And a few minutes after I’ve put everything away, I realize my hands are stinging. I’ve gotten some sort of pepper acid on them. I wash them over and over again, ask Dr. Google what to do, soak them in milk, and wash them in rubbing alcohol.

That didn’t stop me from getting the acid in my eyes when I washed my face before bed. I woke up in the middle of the night with my eyes glued shut. I prayed it wasn’t the world’s fastest case of pinkeye. I washed out my eyes over and over again, and I ended up driving to the beach with the boys with one eye pretty swollen. Figures… =)

Meanwhile, on a highway somewhere in FL, David is getting the most expensive speeding ticket we’ve ever heard of. The cop told him that he was pulling him because he’d missed the speed limit going down “at that last stoplight.” Really? Happy Father’s Day…

Things got better from there out, but the trip did include… my parent’s dog getting locked in a closet by some kid or other and us driving the neighborhood calling him, the one toilet at their cabin breaking and being replaced, and my nephew stepping in dog doo barefooted. 

I would like a vacation after my vacation. BUT… the kids had a fantastic time, and we enjoyed getting to bond with the cousins. Listening to the two littlest sing and giggle together in the car was priceless.

This week I’m trying to focus on just enjoying our little family and taking it easy. I’m not making myself shop at Walmart anymore with my boys until after this pregnancy is over. We’re eating off paper plates more. There will be a lot of pool time and children’s museum time in our future… and lots of book reading and snuggling. And if we eat a lot of frozen pizza and takeout after “Trey” gets here because I didn’t manage to restock the freezer before his birth, I’m going to be ok with that.

Oh, and I seriously love homemade orange creamsicles. These are Seth’s latest obsession, and he nearly freaked out tonight because he thought that not getting to ride his bike (it was raining) meant that he wouldn’t get one. Here’s the recipe- 1 c. vanilla yogurt, 3-4 T. orange juice concentrate, 1/2 t. vanilla. Stir until concentrate thaws, pour into molds, and freeze. I’m daydreaming about other concentrates I can use… =)

No comments: