Friday, May 21, 2010

The knight and the dragon…

Knight and dragon

 

When we were at Vance and Terri’s house, I picked up this book to read to Seth. I already loved Tomie dePaola’s “Clown of God,” but I didn’t know he’d written others.

The thing that I love about this book is that it encourages young children to open a book to find out what they need to know. The knight reads a book called “How to fight dragons” before he issues an invitation to the dragon to come and fight him. The dragon reads a similar book about fighting knights. They consult books to learn how to build armor, swish a trail ferociously, and finally, on how to build a barbeque when the fight doesn’t work out so well.

Since going to a book to find information that you’re lacking is an important skill that I hope to impart to future generations, I’m excited about a book that teaches that lesson with so much whimsy and fun…

No comments: