Friday, August 14, 2009

For all the girls in the old Ech caregroup...

I went shopping this afternoon for a baby shower that I'm throwing tomorrow. I got Brie and grapes and strawberries and her favorite flowers, etc., etc. This evening was spent making cupcakes and cream cheese frosting, putting together shower games, decorating, and cleaning. My brick fireplace has green and yellow polka dots all over it, and Seth and Evan's stuffed animal are perched perkily everywhere. I'll blow up balloons and attach them to the mailbox tomorrow. A couple of girls are bringing things to help out, but this shower is mostly me. And I'm really excited about that...

Because I've been thinking about you today, Ech caregroup girls from Sovereign Grace Fairfax. And this is my chance to attempt to do for another sister in Christ what you did for me. You see, this gal is a new friend. She hasn't lived here that long, and she doesn't know a lot of people. Sound familiar? It should.

Because I remember a time when you invited a girl into your caregroup, one who was a new friend that you'd known for a few months, tops. And you gave that girl a totally awesome baby shower. You didn't know her well, but you knew that you wanted to show her the love of the Body of Christ as if you'd known her all your lives. You didn't skimp; you didn't hold back. You made her favorite foods and a diaper cake, and you gave generously. And she hasn't forgotten that.

You knew what being a member of the Body of Christ truly meant. It's the same kind of radical selflessness that my brother's new caregroup in St. Pete gave them when 10 people showed up to help them move in... who hadn't even met them yet. Because we are the body of Christ, and this is how we show that we're different. Thank you for giving me radical love. You're an inspiration to me.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Even though I knew you for such a short time, I found your humble honesty quite refreshing. I'm sure I have been blessed much more by you! We were happy to "shower" you. :)

Ruth LaBombard said...

We miss you Ellen!!