Thursday, August 27, 2009

The beautiful mundane...

I turn back in the doorway, taking the camera inside. I see, and it comes up to my eye, and I capture this...

It is the natural beauty of the mundane. Baby sits peacefully in dappled shade, contentedly sucking his fingers. I hear the gentle splash of water as big boy fills up a cup and pours it back again. And I think about how peaceful and good it is to find contentment in the pouring out of each of our lives in the little things... giving a pacifier, making a peanut butter sandwich, kissing a bruised toe. God has given me the gift of being able to do these things...

And yet, I let news of a new job stress steal my joy last night. I worried about the coming days without David's help. I fretted and fumed before remembering that it's almost never as hard as I think it will be. God has given me people to help. God has given me enough grace for this day, but I'm worrying about tomorrow. And I ponder on these verses, finding joy again in my tasks.

"If anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." ~Matthew 10:43

"If then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet." ~John 13:12

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." ~Philippians 2:3-4

Lord, help me to remember these things as I fill sippy cups and give baths. Thank you for reminding me that what I do really matters.

2 comments:

SMS said...

beautiful words from a beautifully capable mama :)

Ivy Mom said...

Thank you for sharing these verses. Your words are so true. My words to God are often "Lord, you know what I need." I'll make this my prayer rather than asking for a full night sleep or a day with no potty accidents or getting specific with what I think will make me feel good about my day. He knows what I need, what I can handle, and always provides.