Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Camping lust...

I don't know why, but I'm dying to do this again. Soon!

We haven't been camping since Seth was this little, and I miss it. Yesterday, I found my fingers wandering as I searched the internet for small travel trailers you can pull with a van. The Scamp is adorable. But, I had a talk with Dad, and he straightened me out after informing me that campers take as much time to set up as tents, cost a ton more, require tags and insurance, a place to store them, etc. So that idea is out. Besides, I got to thinking about it, and I don't really like being with the rvs in campgrounds anyway. Too close to the bathrooms, not enough space on the site, etc. I guess I really am a tent girl at heart. I want as much nature as I can get!

So now I'm lusting over large family camping tents with three rooms for sleeping. And I'm wondering how Seth and Evan would do sleeping in the woods with us. And I'm thinking about all the simple things I could do to keep from having to cook. Maybe getting a gas cook stove would actually save time, and I could heat up precooked meals on that. (David's biggest complaint about camping is that we spend too much time cooking over the campfire when he wants to hike. I, however, like the idea of hanging around the campsite and cooking around a campfire. We have to find a middle ground.)

But now I must go and get the baby. Anybody else thinking of camping on this hot August day? Maybe I just long for cool, green woods...

2 comments:

Megan said...

Yes, Brian has been telling me that we must go camping this fall! As for the food comment I totally agree, you have to take so much STUFF with you just to make food. Two of our friends go somewhere near Carolina beach where you can camp on the beach. Its really close to town so they just go to Hardeez for food. Not the most healthy but soo much easier!!

Paula said...

Hey, we went camping with Sam and Lainey this past weekend. They had a great time. Sam's second and Lainey's first. It was a lot of work as you know-camping always is. However, having a 2 and
4-year-old who are new to camping is definitely a full-time job. We cooked hotdogs over the fire and roasted marshmallows. We grilled hamburgers and had oatmeal in the mornings on our propane grill. We did get fast food once or twice. Definitely take some snacks for the kids and PB and J. Mike said check out the webpage "one pan wonders", google it...he loves camping, so I'll direct the questions to him. We even have a little shower stall/bathroom tent and toilet that really helped us.