Sunday, August 09, 2009

Yard sale finds...

We all slept in a bit on Saturday morning, even the baby. After a spirited breakfast table baby dancing session (with Vanilla Ice on Youtube), David suggested that we go out yard saleing. "But it's already 9:30," I said. "Anything good will be gone." But he thought it would be fun, so we went. For FUN! =) Not expecting to find anything... and of course, we hit the jackpot.

Above you see Seth's early 3rd birthday present. David's afraid to keep it in the shed because its wood, so he gets it now. Maybe we'll save the train set part for his birthday, I don't know. I've seen train tables before on Craigslist or at the stores, and they are usually at least $100. And often, that's without the trains and track and stuff.

Well, we got this little beauty, train set and track included for... $18! That was all we had left after stopping at the one other yard sale we visited, where I was blessed with a new postpartum wardrobe.



Somebody at that yard sale was exactly my current size. And they had name brand taste. After I got home and figured out that the shorts I had bought fit like a dream, I took our change bag and hurried back by myself. Everything was either Gap or Banana Republic. I got a pair of black pants and a pair of brown pants that feel so soft its like wearing pajamas. I came away with two skirts, at least 6 pairs of pants, a t-shirt, and a dress. And each item was... $1. Just the dress in the picture above makes me feel like a million bucks.


Shirt...Gap... $1
Shorts...Gap...$1
There's a lady who blogs who shows all these outfits she's pulled together with things she bought at yard sales. They're really nice looking, and I have scoffed and sneered at her posts. I figured she had to live in some ritzy area because I'd never seen any clothes at a yard sale that I thought were worth buying. And I've looked at a lot. Well, I've now seen that it can happen. =) And I feel very blessed. It's hard to feel good about your leaky, saggy body when you have a 10-week-old baby. This has helped a lot...


7 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow! I'm so glad you found something wonderful. The dress is so flattering on you.

Rachel said...

Glad you found new clothes, very cool! But, can I ask what happened to your head?? : )
Cool find for Seth too!!

Ellen said...

My head was not blog worthy on Saturday morning. I had not brushed my hair or had a shower. The end. =) Thanks, gals. It's fun to show a really good find.

Rachel said...

Yeah, I know! I was just teasing! Thought it was funny to see a headless mommy!! : )
For my birthday I was given money to buy myself some new clothes - just for me and it has been so nice to have things that fit just right and look nice. I found some super sales at the mall when I was looking right before the wedding and was able to get more than I would have otherwise!!
Enjoy the new stuff!!

Amy said...

GREAT dress! I have to say you look AWESOME for having a 10 week old baby! Wish I looked that good now that my baby is 14 months old! :) Miss y'all! OH, and I got Hayden a train table (the bottom is hand painted and the top has a Thomas the train scene) for $10 at a garage sale!! But no trains with it...have to keep watching for those.

Kristin said...

You look great! Congrats on the good deals. :)

Momma B. said...

WooWHo!! You hit the Jackpot! Aren't you glad you listened to David!? Love the clothes! God is so good, Isn't He?
I am going through the kids clothes and switching out and making a list for needs and wants....It's looking like an all day affair!