Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Evan at 10 weeks...

Our tiniest family member isn't so tiny anymore! Ok, well he is, but he isn't. =) Seth and I took him for his 8 week checkup (late), and he weighed a whole 12 pounds! That would be the 50 percentile for his age, so he's a porker compared to spindly little Seth, who never made it above the 15th percentile, if I remember correctly. In height, he's leaving the other 10 week olds in the dust. He's 24 inches long, making him in the 90th percentile. People keep telling me how long he looks, and they've been right.

He started smiling on the day after he turned 8 weeks, and he's given us a lot of smiles since then. He loves being with people, and if we put him where he can see faces, he often stops fussing just because of that. What a social baby! He still loves to nap with me sometimes, and I get so much joy from snuggling with him. He is such a little sweetheart. I went out last night to do a big grocery shopping run, and I found myself missing holding him. I couldn't wait to get back and snuggle with him on my shoulder before bedtime.

He now naps in his own bed! This is big stuff around here. The crying it out technique wasn't working well, and it was early to push it. Mommy was too impatient, I guess. So we've switched to swaddling him when he gets drowsy, letting him doze in my arms, and then taking him upstairs and putting him in his bed. Sometimes we'll have a couple of false starts where he'll wake up and start crying, and then I start over again, but he's getting the idea. He'll often spend at least an hour per nap in the crib now, and that's huge.

I think I've decided that I have a tendency to be less patient with the second son than I was with the first. And I think that's because I know what the future looks like, so I'm more in a hurry to get there. I didn't know with Seth, so I didn't try to rush things along to a particular destination. So I'm finding that I have to remind myself of how young he is and how well he's really doing. He'll sleep longer soon enough. I don't want to wish his babyhood away. But I am finding that I enjoy the time with him when he's awake more now that I get a little break while he's in his crib. =) Everybody needs a little space, even Mommy.


The posed watermelon shot didn't work out so great. He kept slipping. But, hey, I tried. =)

No comments: