Monday, August 17, 2009

Taking a break or changing a lifestyle?

Some days, I think that maybe I should make the fact that I plan to homeschool into my own personal state secret. If I let it pass my lips, then I have to cut off a finger or something. That would at least keep me from hearing the inevitable incredibly annoying comments that people make about our family's choice.

Today I made an offhand mention of the fact when saying that our dining room won't be reverting back to a dining room when the kids are older because it will become a school room. Big mistake.

Another mom whipped around, looked at me, and said, "You're really going to homeschool?" in much the same way that she might've said, "You've really decided that you're going to sell your house, join the circus, and then get a frontal lobotomy?"

This led to some muttering from her that ended with, "Well, some moms need a break from their kids." I nearly bit my tongue off, but I held it.

Really? You really think that moms who choose to homeschool are just a rare breed of wonderwomen who don't think they need breaks from their kids? Get real! I don't think I've ever claimed that, and I never would. I'd like a break as much as the next gal!

So I went back to this post from Brandy, and it made me feel better. Rant over now.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

So true! Most women just say to me "oh I couldn't do that, I don't have the patience" or "Oh! My child and I would kill each other, we just don't get along that well"
Hmmm, last time I checked (which was only this morning!!!), I didn't have any more patience than the next women and honestly, after this morning, I wondered if I had ANY!!
: )

Momma B. said...

It is always discouraging when someone makes a comment that takes the wind out of our sails. I certainly admire Moms who homeschool. Even though I am a public school mom who realizes that my "break" from the kids only warrants MORE diligence to use the time left over to do the job I am called to do. But I certainly feel intimidated or in awe of homeschool moms. Maybe she was just letting out some of that awe and it came across as something different? Idk, but I often get the same thing for having 4 kids, not putting them in every organized sport/lesson offered, and not having the same amount of debt that everyone else carries...I guess just take it as a compliment if you can. Hope she didn't ruin your day! ;)

katie said...

it seems to me that people just feel inadequate or a 'need to justify' when they're around homeschooling mom's.
I'm not a homeschooler but I have seen this time and again and I just wonder if the people who behave this way don't feel entirely comfortable with their own decisions - or strangely feel threatened.

Shannon said...

Having been on both "sides" (for lack of a better term), I've decided that when many moms encounter someone who is raising their kids differently than they are, they just can't help but over-justify why their choices are what they are. Insecurity? Maybe. Education is a big part of raising kids, so it comes up a lot and spawns some pretty ugly "mommy wars." Too bad people can't either keep their unrequested editorials to themselves, or have enough peace with what God has called their family to to not get so defensive. (I'm guilty too.) Hang in there. My heart resonates with the frustration you feel...