Friday, September 14, 2007

A new friend...

I'm feeling so great today, and it's because I found a new friend! I'm soo excited, you don't even understand... A couple of weeks ago, David and I met a couple in Sunday School at the church we were visiting. They moved here about a month ago from Texas, and she is a stay-at-home mom to a 2-year-old daughter. I mentioned meeting her in an earlier post, I think. Well, we both signed up for MOPs, and I saw her this Tuesday and asked her if she'd like to set up a "play date" (the mommy lingo is still new to me). She was agreeable, so this morning, she and her little girl came over. They came at 9:30, in grubbies and no makeup just like me, and they just left at... 1:30. Seth loved playing with her daughter, and after I put him down for his morning nap, we went outside, and she used the playset, and we hung out with a bunch of toys on the porch. We talked, and talked, and talked, and talked... We both had horrible moving stories. She said mine won, but hers was pretty darn close. We're both lifesize Chatty Cathy dolls. And we're both desperate for a sense of community and friendship. We're learning that it's hard to break into established mommy groups. She's enrolled in a mom's club, Kindermusik, and MOPs, and she's trying, but it looks to her like many of the other moms in her activities are already busy with established groups and friends. I've been noticing the same thing. We're happy for them, but that just makes it a bit harder for us to break through. Like Cousin Keith says, "You can have the best friendship resume in the world, but unless there's a job opening, there's no room, even for the perfect candidate." So I'm thrilled that the Lord led me to someone else that needs a friend. If we hadn't gone to that church, and that Sunday School class, on that particular day, we wouldn't have met, or it would've taken a lot longer. I have no idea how this friendship will develop. We may become lifetime friends, or we may be friends for a season, but I'm just thrilled that I feel like there is now someone I can call sometimes to take walks with, go to the mall, or come over for a playdate. We can learn Raleigh together, and share the knowledge that we've picked up along the way. Thank you, Lord. You have provided, once again, exactly what I've been hoping for...

No comments: