Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Bean Soup with Spinach...

Hi, all. Just thought I'd pop on to share a new recipe with you that my mom recently gave me. Cheap, healthy, good.

Bean Soup with Spinach

1 c. chopped bacon or ham (I save ham slices after Easter and freeze them for things like this)
1 onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 zucchini, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatos, undrained
2 14.5 oz. cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (don't get the kind cooked with pork, my mistake, try Bush's)
3-4 c. chicken broth (not a typo, you'll see)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
several cups fresh spinach, chopped
Parm-Reg. cheese, to taste

(I used the medium shred blade on my food processor for all the vegetables. That made it faster. A larger shred blade might've been a little better, but no biggie.)

Get out your big ol' soup pot. Put chopped ham or bacon in there over med. heat and saute' for 5 minutes, until almost crisp. Add all veggies and garlic, and saute' until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add tomatos, beans, broth, and seasoning. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in chopped spinach. Serve with cheese on top.

No comments: