Thursday, March 18, 2010

First lenten sacrifice...

I've given up desserts for Lent. There is an exception for eating dessert with guests, but snarfing down a box of thin mints all by myself after the kids go to bed is totally out.

This is the first time I've given up something for Lent. And it's been surprisingly hard. I'm not too good at self denial, apparently. Not like I didn't know that already...

But this tiny, insignificant sacrifice in the larger scheme of human things has been illuminating for me. I see where I am a slave to good things taken to excess, and I see how weak and frail I am when fighting off temptation. And when I desire sweet stuff, I have been reminded to pray. (I prayed in the yogurt aisle the other day as I made myself put back the key lime pie yogurt because it would totally violate the spirit of the no dessert policy.) It's good to flex my self control muscles, and it's good to see Christ help me in something small like this...

But I've gotta say that I'm really looking forward to falling into an Easter candy induced coma very soon...

No comments: