Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Shower power...

I'm really late on doing this post, but I couldn't just not mention the two baby showers that I had in NC over Christmas. These photos are from the one that my mom and my sis-in-love, Terri, gave me at the homeplace. Mom pulled out all the stops with the fine china and the nice tablecloth, and Terri made sure there were plenty of complicated gourmet goodies available. There were homemade chicken salad croissants and cream cheese pinwheel cookies and delicious cupcakes, courtesy of Pam Dillon, and fruit salad, and a fresh vegetable tray. We had Mom's special raspberry-mint iced tea, too. And who could forget the rubber ducky centerpieces? I love ducks, as you know if you've looked at my bathroom lately. They know what I love. Terri planned games, and she had some great meditations on motherhood and how it makes you think about our relationship with Christ in a different way. She talked about how she realized that we are a lot like Isaac when he has a temper tantrum over something small, like dropping a toy. He overreacts, not understanding that his little world hasn't just ended. Just like Terri smiles and helps him with gentleness, God does the same for us. He knows that we're overreacting, but He is compassionate enough not to expect us to understand that because we have a baby worldview compared to Him. She said other neat things as well, but I thought I'd give you that as a little example. Mom and Terri worked hard to make this shower genteel and lovely, and I really appreciate all that they did. I know it was their way of saying "I love you," and I really felt loved and cherished.

This is my Great-Aunt Mary, holding up her string. We played the game where everybody has to cut a piece of yarn the length of my stomach at the widest point. Most people guessed too long. =) I think my Mamie won the game.

In our family, no man is too macho to help out with girly stuff. Here are my guys making chicken salad croissants. Apparently, Terri and Mom told them to make the filling 1/2 an inch thick, so these two wise guys decided to measure when their technique was called into question. Hey, at least they had fun, right? Oh yeah, they were duly banished from the shower as the ladies arrived, and they shook off the girly vibe by going to see the gorefest Apocolypto. Gross. (It was Vance's idea.)
Here is a picture from the shower that the Church at High Point gave me. I don't have as many pictures of this one. It was held at the Skeens new house, and a lot of my longtime church family came to bless me. It was so good to see all of their loved faces. I grew up in this church from the time I was 11 until I left home and moved away. Each of these brothers and sisters in Christ has watched me grow and change and mature. They've shared their lives and their struggles and their victories with God with me, and they have done a lot of praying for me in the past few years. I always knew that they were lifting me up in prayer for my infertility, and it means so much to share this blessing with them. They had faith for me when I had none for myself. Thank you for your prayers and your presence at this shower.

1 comment:

SMS said...

Thats my Gram!!! thats my Gram!! :)