Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hallelujah! Some cold weather!!!

It's a lovely, freezing cold afternoon, and I've got oatmeal raisin cookies in the oven. Mmmm. Ok, they're from a box. I don't have that much energy anymore. I'm still working Tuesdays and Thursdays at preschool, even though I get pretty tired by the end of the school day now. I've decided to keep going as long as I can so that I won't be sitting around and stewing if I'm overdue. At this point, I strongly suspect I'm going to have to be induced. I've decided to approach it that way so I won't feel disappointed if my due date comes and goes without any sign of activity. I'm 39 weeks today. I'm wondering if the weather will be too nasty tomorrow for me to go to my dr.'s appointment so they can give me the bad news about the closed state of my cervix. (Can you tell I'm not exactly optimistic about this baby coming soon?)

But..the reason I post is because of my real excitement about the cold weather. Today was the first day I can remember this year when I've gotten really cold after 5 minutes outside. I'm not sure it's gotten above freezing yet today! Normally, this wouldn't be a huge cause for much rejoicing, but this winter, it truly is. Most winters, I've been happy to see cold weather, but this year, I've been begging for it. I have been truly disgusted over our record breaking warm spell, and I'm praying that it's over. Please, please, let it be over!

The reason for this is that I'm a pregnant woman living in a DC highrise. You see, where I live, I cannot control the temperature. It can be hot, hotter, luau, or 7th circle of Hell, and that's all I'll get if I mess with the thermostat. In many buildings like mine in this area, the building temperature is either hot or cold, depending on the temperature of the water that they pump through the boiler in the basement of the building. You can't have both, folks. You either get heat or you get AC. In the fall, the building is required to change over the system from air conditioning to heat once we get a certain number of below freezing nights. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I know it's the law. So that means that I've been sweating at night and during the day for months now because of our unseasonably warm winter. Months, not weeks. If I want it to be less than 85 degrees in our apartment, I have to open every window in the place. If I want to be able to sleep at night, I have to keep our bedroom window open practically all day. Today is one of the few days since we changed over to heat that I haven't had to change into a t-shirt the second I walked through my front door. Since we are on the 12th floor, even if we don't run our heat at all, which we don't, we still get the heat that random crazy people below us have turned on, perhaps in the 40 degree morning before they left for work but certainly won't be turning off while they're away and the temperature then climbs to 75. It's been a rough winter for me. I find it ironic that the one winter that I just can't get cool enough is the one winter that I don't have the ability to turn on the air conditioning.

So bring it on!! I want Arlington to turn into the Arctic Tundra. I want 20 mph gusts of freezing wind. I want frost on my car every single morning, and I don't want it to melt off until 4:00 p.m. I would be thrilled if my wiper fluid froze every day from now until April. Please, please, please stay cold so this pregnant woman doesn't have to wake up in a pool of sweat anymore! I love the cold. It's my buddy. And David wants a little snow. As long as it's not snowing when we need to go to the hospital. =)

2 comments:

Momma B. said...

Yeah! for cold weather!! We have certainly had our fair share! O whole week of freezing, below freezing, or just above freezing temps. Not to mention the sleet, freezing rain, and YES, even snow!! We woke up to about an inch of snow yesterday!? Can you believe it? Maybe it's coming your way!! Just in time for a rush to the hospital!

Shelly said...

I'm celebrating your cold snap with you. It is currently in the mid-70s here in the desert, and I'm dressed like an eskimo. It doesn't sound like much, but that's a good 50 degrees lower than our average summer temps. BRRRRR :)

Look forward to hearing of Seth's arrival.