Sunday, January 21, 2007

Home Sweet Highrise...

I've been thinking about putting some pictures of Home Sweet Home on here for awhile now, but I just haven't gotten around to remembering to walk across the street with my camera in hand. =) This weekend, David and I took video of our apartment and our neighborhood for the baby video. So, naturally, I took some still shots, too. This is the building where we lay our heads each night. As you can see, it's 17 stories tall, and there's a little park in front of it. We're standing in front of the Eckerd's across the street. Our apartment faces the back of the building, so we don't have a view of the mall from our windows. I'm not really sad about that, even if it is a nice mall. There are two other buildings in our complex. We estimate that probably about 5,000 people live in all three buildings.

Here is the reason I can do six loads of laundry at one time. There are about 30 washers and 20 something dryers in our laundry room. Everyone has a card that you put money on by using a ATM style machine and your debit or credit card. You then insert the card into the slots on the washers and dryers, and it debits your card $1.50 per load. It's not cheap. I think long and hard before I wash something delicate by itself. Actually, I often mooch off of friends that have their own machines for that kind of thing. =) Also in the basement is our dry cleaner/valet shop. They put an envelope under your door when you have a package, and then you go downstairs and pick it up from the very nice Korean lady. She's really sweet, and she hemmed my maternity pants for me. She's very reasonably priced, and she cleans David's suits, too. We don't have to leave our building for much, can you tell?

This is the view from our roof. We watched the fireworks on the downtown Mall from here this year. The tall, skinny white thing in the distance on the left is the Washington Monument. You can see the Capitol dome in the distance on the far right. And in the middle you can make out a white dome that is the Jefferson Memorial. Closer toward the foreground on the left is a light tan building with lots and lots of little windows in it. That's the Pentagon. It's about 1 mile from us as the crow flies. So for those of you who found it difficult to imagine our current living environment, I hope this helps. =)

No comments: