Thursday, January 11, 2007

A freezer full...

Last night, I went "dishing" with my friend, Catherine. I've posted before about Let's Dish, a place where you can go and put together meals to freeze for your family. I decided that doing this would be really useful with the baby coming, so I cleaned out my tiny freezer as best I could, loaded a cooler in my Camry, and made an appointment at the Alexandria store. We got there at 8:00, a little later than optimal, but still fine, and we finished up at about 10:00 p.m. You can see a picture of me here at one of the many workstations. The picture of Catherine, below provides a better view, probably.

Ok, here ya go. Each workstation had all the ingredients and measuring spoons for two of the meal options that they provide for you for that month. There are instructions on the station about how to assemble your meal, and you just follow the directions, and voila!, you have a ziploc-bagged, flat meal to put in your freezer. You put a sticker with cooking instructions on the bag, and you're done! Each meal serves 6 people, and they have directions to split the meals in half to feed 3 people. That's what Catherine and I opted to do. We signed up for the 12 meal plan together, and this meant that we got 24 meals total since we were splitting each meal. So, in about two hours, I assembled 12 meals for me and David. Looking at that pile of bags in the freezer fills me with satisfaction. I have 2 meals each of these delectable dishes: chicken tetrazzini, peanut-cilantro marinated chicken breasts with sugar snap peas, beef stroganoff, 5 spice pork chops with ginger carrots, pork tenderloins with peach chutney, and chicken quesadillas. Sounds delicious, doesn't it? Because of David's aversion to cheesy things, I avoided cheese and cream as much as possible, but it probably wasn't a great month for him overall. Sorry, sweetie, I did the best I could with the available options. This was just one more way I can hopefully make the way a little smoother for us when the little guy arrives. I just hope these foods don't give him tummyaches when I feed him. I'm crossing my fingers. =)

1 comment:

Momma B. said...

I have a sneaking suspicion that when this little guy makes his appearance that David will be too tired, busy, and preoccupied to care what he is eating for dinner!! Good for you for planning ahead! That will make things LOTS easier for you all!