Monday, September 08, 2008

Lentil Patties...

This conversation occured in our kitchen tonight...

David: "So, what's for dinner?"
Ellen: "Ummm... hmmm... an experiment."
David: "So, what's the experiment called?"
Ellen: "I choose not to say at this time."
David: "If you don't tell me, than I will be forced to tell Seth that we're having Gross Burgers for dinner."

I am pleased to say that they did not turn out to be Gross Burgers, though I had my moments of doubt early on. After the initial lentil cooking phase, they looked pretty gross, but I pressed on, and we now have a new family healthy, cheap, vegetarian entree to add to the weekly menu.

Lentil Patties

1 c. dry lentils, thoroughly rinsed and drained
2 1/2 c. water
1/2 t. salt
1/2 med. onion, finely diced
1 med. carrot, finely diced
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. soy sauce
3/4 c. rolled oats, finely ground
3/4 c. italian bread crumbs or any kind of bread crumb
1 egg

Put lentils, water, and salt in pan, bring to boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, until lentils are very soft. Drain any excess water. Saute onion and carrot. Mix all ingredients together and form into patties. I fried them in a little canola oil for 3 minutes on each side. You can also bake them in the oven at 400 for about 15 minutes.

It makes about 7 good sized patties. I froze the leftover ones without cooking them by wrapping each one individually in plastic wrap and putting them in a ziploc freezer bag.

If you want them exotic, use regular bread crumbs and add 1 t. each of either cumin, coriander, or garam masala.

I put the bottle of ketchup on the table... but no ketchup was required. =) Bon appetit!

No comments: