Sunday, August 01, 2010

random musings…

It’s Sunday afternoon, and I’m still a little dazed from my afternoon nap. Love the afternoon nap on Sundays. Can’t live without it. Going to bake cookies in a few minutes because…

We’ve got a busy week coming up. We mentor a newly married couple through a program at church, and they’re coming over, so I wanted to have something on hand. And then I have a MOPs leader training this Friday, and I’m bringing a dessert. One batch of cookie dough, nicely frozen, should hopefully handle both of these…. at least I don’t have to go back to the grocery store! =)

We went to a fellowship for Sunday School teachers at our church last night. It was a great chance to get to know some of the other workers. We teach a 2’s class on Sunday mornings with another couple, and we’ve been considering whether or not we’ll teach again next year. At a church the size of ours, the best way to get connected is to join an adult Sunday School class, and we’d been starting to feel a bit disconnected from the larger church body because of being out of one. Well, we’re not the only ones. That was the point of the social… to make the step of trying to build community among the teachers so we won’t feel so isolated.

It’s important to have a group of fellow believers who know when you’re sick or bring you a meal when you have a new baby or you can email when you need to borrow a space heater because your heat went out. The Sunday School teachers shouldn’t have to miss out on that just because they’re teaching the church’s children week in and week out. Hmmm, now to find a good and constructive way to accomplish this…

I did think as we were going over there that this was a group of people who have hugged and cuddled and changed and sang a million choruses of the B-I-B-L-E to my children faithfully and selflessly for years now. I almost got misty eyed over the thought. They have laid their lives down in practical and tough ways regularly for the good of the Body of Christ. That’s more than can be said for many members of Sunday School classes, me included. It’s an honor to get to know them better, and it’s a warm feeling to know how much they love my children.

One of the 1’s teachers snagged Evan right away and fed him bits of hot dog. I got to eat my dinner with both hands. That contributes to the warm fuzzies, I’m sure. =)

Well, those cookies aren’t going to bake themselves. And who knows how much time I left left before a couple of little somebodies wakes up from their naps…

No comments: