Saturday, May 26, 2007

Two convicting verses about pride

This is David today. Two verses in Psalms caught my attention during my quiet time this morning:

“An oracle is within my heart concerning the sinfulness of the wicked: There is no fear of God before his eyes. For in his own eyes he flatters himself, too much to detect or hate his sin.” Psalms 36:1-2.

What caught my attention is the destructive nature of pride. Not only is pride a sin, but pride steals the ability for a person “to detect or hate his sin.” When I allow pride to take hold, it is much more difficult to see my own sinful behavior, to hate it, and to repent of it. Unless I repent of my pride and seek Godly humility, other sins are almost certain to grow in my life without my detection.

At work, pride in my ability may prevent me from noticing that I am not kind or patient enough to my coworkers. At home, pride as a parent and husband may prevent me from seeking ways to serve Ellen and Seth better. Pride allows me to feel justified in my anger and can cause repentance to be slow in coming. Fortunately, the standard Christ set in the Bible--if I take it seriously--won't let me hang onto that pride.

No comments: