Friday, May 04, 2007

Ham and Tomato Pie

I got this neat recipe out of Southern Living while I was at Mom and Dad's. I guess I must be getting more sleep, because I was inspired to try cooking again. All I've been doing since he's been born has been heating up freezer meals or sauces. I haven't chopped up anything in months. =) I made this while he napped and put it in the fridge to pop in the oven later, and that worked just fine. Enjoy!

Ham and Tomato Pie

9 in. pie crust
1 8 oz. pkg. diced cooked ham (can find in the pork section)
1/2 c. sliced green onions
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
2 med. plum tomatos, thinly sliced or some canned petite diced tomatos
1 large egg
1/3 c. milk or half and half
2 t. basil
pepper to taste

Saute' ham and green onions in a nonstick skillet for 5 minutes, until ham is a little brown and any liquid evaporates. Spread mustard evenly across bottom of the pie shell; sprinkle with 1/2 c. mozzarella. Spoon ham mixture evenly over it, and top with a single layer of tomatos. Beat egg and milk with a fork until well blended; pour over tomatos. Sprinkle evenly with basil, pepper, and the remaining cheese. Bake on 425 for 20-23 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool for 20 minutes. Enjoy!

I thought it had a really nice flavor, wasn't bad for you when I modified it, and it wasn't too cheesy for my picky cheese man. I think it's going to make it into the regular meal rotation.

No comments: