Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Visiting with Amy and Clifton...

Our friends, Amy and Clifton, came to visit this past weekend. We wanted to make sure they got a chance to come up before the baby comes, and as time seems to be running out with all the holidays coming up, this was a good weekend. Amy and I have been friends since college. We did a Bible study together early in our friendship, and we were roommates during my junior year. I had far too many roommates, 5 in 4 years of college, and Amy was my favorite one. We got to spend the most time together, so that makes her the frontrunner between her and Amanda. (But I do love you, Amanda!) I always had somebody to go to the cafeteria with, even if the food was usually less than desirable. =) Amy and I had lots of good talks that year. She has always led me closer to Christ by her words and deeds. We were both figuring out guy relationships that year, and we were able to give each other godly counsel. That's a great gift. After we graduated from college, Amy and I still visited, though we went our separate ways. She moved from Greensboro to Raleigh after finishing her M.A. in Music at UNC-G. About that time, I got an email from an old friend, Clifton. We go way back; we've been friends through 4-H since high school, and we were 4-H state officers together in college. Anyway, he was looking for a date to a law school dance at Campbell, and Amy immediately came to my mind. The rest is history! They are perfect for each other, and I was so excited to be in their wedding. This is my one great match-making success, so I relish it thoroughly. Keeping up with both of them has gotten a little easier for me since they share one address now. =) It's inspiring to see all the ways that they serve the Lord together in their daily life. I know that they honor Him with their marriage. David and Clifton have definitely hit it off. They're both competitive lawyers, and I think they would've spent the whole weekend beating each other at Risk if we would've let them. They roomed together in Raleigh when David took the NC bar exam, since Clifton was taking it at the same time. David gives Clifton credit for passing, since he gave him the background knowledge to answer a particularly tough question when they were studying together the night before. This weekend was full of girl time for me and Amy and guy time for the boys, with a little couples time thrown in. Amy and I went to Ikea on a shopping spree, and she sampled the Swedish cuisine with me in the snack bar. They make great Swedish meatballs! =) We were a little sad to see them go on Sunday morning. Old friends are the best, aren't they?

1 comment:

SMS said...

Sounds like you guys really had a great time. So glad to hear it. Old friends are lovely and the familiarity of it all is the best part to me. Anyway, looking forward to our visit soon :) you guys sound like us - every weekend booked!!! I am speaking for us when I say this but for people who like to be laid back and not have any plans so they can roll with the mood of the day/weekend - we have booked ourselves solid until after the holidays!!! How did that happen!??!?!