Saturday, March 16, 2013

Saturday morning (and Italian dressing)...

.... and I'm rocking my bedhead and what I call my "Indian mom" look. This is where I leave on my nightgown, pull on sweatpants, and then add a sweatshirt jacket. Kinda looks like a punjabi (I know I'm spelling that wrong). :)

Couldn't sleep last night trying to figure out what to bring to a covered dish tonight. I am not good at coming up with side dishes, since most side dishes around here consist of a steamed or boiled green vegetable with either potatoes or some form of rice. Gourmet, we are not. Around midnight, it hit me. Pasta salad! So I pulled that together this morning using this homemade Italian dressing blend from All Recipes that I changed a good bit so it doesn't look much like the original..


1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon white sugar
2-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/8 teaspoon celery seed (optional)

Mix it all together and put in a ziploc bag with these instructions on it. "Whisk together 1/4 c. red wine vinegar (or half red wine vinegar and half balsamic), 2/3 cup canola oil, 2 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons of the dry mix." 

I cooked up 2 cups of dry mini shell pasta and tossed them together with the dressing, pepperoni, shredded carrot, chopped green pepper, some dried sun dried tomatoes, and plenty of shredded sharp cheddar. It'll marinate all day, and I hope it'll be good. 

The boys watched "The Busy World of Richard Scarry" yesterday for "movie time," and Huckle and Lowly went on a campout in the backyard. (May I just give a giant "thank you" shout out to the makers of preschool programming for encouraging kids to camp in their backyards and not at some state park? You have my gratitude, script writers.) 

They're rediscovering the backyard now that we can hear that the birds are back. Yesterday was spent digging for pirate treasure in the bed behind where my daffodils come up. Hmmm, maybe I can get them to do something useful like put our fertilizer.... 

Shower time. I love Saturdays because my husband rocks and he has them all out there, planning their pretend campout.... 

No comments: