Monday, March 18, 2013

Mexican Rice Packet Clone

Awhile back, the "Chickens in the Road" blog showed readers how to try and figure out what was inside those seasoned rice packets you can buy from Knorr, etc. When I make beans and rice on our taco salad nights, I'd been using those, but I decided that I wanted to see if I could decode the recipe. This is the result, after a few tries that were on the bland side....

1 c. rice
1 3/4 c. water
1 T. canola oil
2-3 T. tomato paste (I use the Cento paste in a tube, and I just keep it in the fridge)
1 T. onion powder
1/2 T. salt
1/2 T. dried cilantro
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 T. garlic powder
1/2 t. sugar

Saute the rice in oil in your saucepan. After its getting a little crispy, add in the tomato paste. Stir, and then add in all the seasonings. Add water and cook on low until done. 


No comments: