Friday, September 24, 2010

The God within…

Suffering with a stomach bug today. Woke up in the middle of the night, threw up, and my first thought was, “David has to be in court tomorrow, and he’ll get a contempt citation if he stays with me. I am in trouble.” I pick the best days to get sick. Woke him up in the middle of the night with my sickness, and as we lay there, him knowing he had to get up at 5:00 a.m. to drive to court, and me wondering what today would bring, and what I would do since I get no sick days… I said, “Life is hard sometimes, isn’t it…” And in the dark I heard a quiet, “Yes.”

Thank the Lord for my mother who drove up this morning to love on my boys so I could sit still and beg my queasy stomach to calm down. Having her here was such a blessing… I can’t even tell ya.

But since I can sit still and upright at this point, here I am. Found this quote on the net a minute ago and thought I’d share it. It was quoted in the context of the whole “Eat, Pray, Love” phenomenon, but it certainly applies all the time and in all situations, seeing as how its true and all.

From G.K. Chesteron’s Orthodoxy (p. 81):

“Of all horrible religions the most horrible is the worship of the god within. . . . That Jones shall worship the god within him turns out ultimately to mean that Jones shall worship Jones. Let Jones worship the sun or moon, anything rather than the Inner Light; let Jones worship cats or crocodiles, if he can find any in his street, but not the god within.

Christianity came into the world firstly in order to assert with violence that a man had not only to look inwards, but to look outwards, to behold with astonishment and enthusiasm a divine company and a divine captain. The only fun of being a Christian was that a man was not left alone with the Inner Light, but definitely recognized an outer light, fair as the sun, clear as the moon, terrible as an army with banners.”

No comments: