Friday, April 06, 2007

Thirty...

Happy birthday, handsome. =) David's birthday was acutally on Tuesday, but his day was going to be so stressful with deadlines that he asked me to ignore it until Friday. So in honoring his wishes, I waited to post until today. Now we really get to party! (As much as we can party with a child whose bedtime is 8:30... =) This is the big one for David. If you can't trust anyone over the age of 30, then I'm going to have to start eyeing him with suspicion. I asked him how he felt about the milestone, you know, outta his 20's, turning into an old fart, etc. He just smiled and said that he wouldn't really be that much older than he would've been the day before. 30 is just a number, he said. Ahh, that is illustrative of the difference between him and me. When I turn 30, I may have to dye my hair, buy a miniskirt, get a fake tan, and rent a convertible for a day to drive to a college campus to walk around, hoping desperately that I get mistaken by someone, anyone, for a co-ed. But hey, he just gets better looking and more confident every year he lives, so who can blame him for being so mellow about it?
I'm putting up this picture because it speaks of something very important about my husband. I took this on a Sunday morning before church. I was in the shower, and Seth woke up and wanted to eat, so David was holding him off with a passy until I could get out. Time being limited on Sunday mornings around here, David was also attempting to do his devotions at the same time. Hence, Bible in one hand, passy in the other. That's how this man lives his life. Every single morning, David gets up, sometimes at 5:30, sometimes at 7:00, and he takes his shower, and he does his morning devotions. If he's running late, he may do them on the Metro, but THEY GET DONE. EVERY DAY. WITHOUT FAIL. Because he knows that he can't be good at putting in the passy with one hand if he isn't good at holding that Bible in the other hand. He knows that he needs the Word in one hand to help me with dishes with the other. David is my rock, and he is my rock because he makes being a man of God top priority in his life. I know that I can count on him to put God first, and Seth and I come right after that. He works hard at his job, and he strives for excellence there, but I know that if he has to ultimately choose between work and home, he chooses us, every time. It's a tough thing to balance for him, but he does so well at it, and I want to praise him for that. How many men to do you know who work a 12 hour day, walk in the door, and immediately start doing dishes before they can be stopped by their concerned wife? I sure don't know many, but David is one. Every day that he lives, I love him more. He is the world's best daddy, as I knew he would be because he was the world's best husband before that. I love you, sweetie. Happy 30th...

No comments: