Monday, April 09, 2007

"He is risen..."

" He is risen indeed!" Ahh, my favorite Easter greeting. Nobody knows it anymore, it doesn't seem, but I learned it at Montgomery Hills Baptist, and I've enjoyed using it ever since. It feels like a private benediction between those of us that know the joy of His resurrection to me. That was the first thing that Willie King, the church moderator, said from the pulpit, and I loved how everyone knew exactly what to say back. We decided to go to Montgomery Hills for church this Easter. We hadn't gotten to introduce Seth to anyone in our old church family, and we'd heard that Pastor Joel even announced his birth from the pulpit, so we figured it was time. Besides, there is something about a traditional Easter service with traditional music that I just love. Kudos to our church for many, many things, but I don't think they can do Easter the way that Montgomery Hills can. I don't know how Cheryl, the music director, does it, but she's a tough cookie, and if anybody could get a string quartet budgeted for Easter Sunday, it's her. We walked in, and there were all the people that we loved and served with for a year from 2002-2003, the last time we lived in D.C. We were about 5 minutes down the road from this church, and I remember how excited we were when we found it. I remember Wednesday night suppers where you felt like family and the ladies would keep supper warm with your name on it because they knew you'd be late coming in from work. One lovely lady made a pitcher of sweet tea just for me because she knew I didn't like it Yankee style. Nothing says love like little gestures like these. And this church was where we met our good friends, Jenny and Sean (pictured above). Back then, we were all newlyweds, married the same summer. Now we both have beautiful little boys, Ben and Seth, born within six months of each other. We took this picture, and old friends stood around and "awwed," remembering.


This is Dominick Dell'Erba. Dom used to be a pastry chef, until he got a flour allergy. I loved his stories, and he could make mean meatballs on men's Italian night. He brought me big bunches of mint from his garden when he found out that I liked to use it in my iced tea. Such an expressive face. The flower he's holding is in memory of his bride, Angelina. Such an expressive face. He's a good man, and a good friend.

We had Easter lunch with Jenny and Sean and Ben. Another lovely thing about MHBC is that I feel comfortable enough that I can stick my pan of rolls in the fridge there, and no one bats an eyelash. They finally rose in time to bake to eat with dinner instead of dessert. And what a dessert it was! That's Sean, about to decapitate the bunny cake. Poor bunny was bleeding strawberry. David had his nose, and I ate his face off. =)

After lunch, Jenny and Sean took us to this beautiful place. The picture doesn't do justice to it. It's a neighborhood near them in Bethesda called Kenwood, and in this neighborhood, there are hundreds of blooming cherry trees lining the streets. It's like a bower overhead. I don't know how they did it, but I think there's a cherry tree on the front lawn, near the street, in front of every house. There were so many people out looking that they had to post "No parking" signs all over the place so cars could get through. It was pretty darn cold, but we walked a bit anyway. At least David didn't miss seeing the cherry blossoms this year, even if it wasn't on the tidal basin.

I love this photo. There's just something about it.

This Easter Sunday, I got to sing the Hallelujah Chorus. At MHBC, it's an Easter tradition for anyone who wants to to come up and join the choir to sing it. The string quartet launched forth, and I got my part in the hymnal, and off we went! I miss singing in the choir. And I love that triumphant music. It's one of my favorite pieces. I like to think of the king standing in awe and in honor of Christ the first time he heard it. That is why we all stand whenever and wherever it's played today. Because He is risen, and He is coming again. King of kings, and Lord of lords, and He shall reign forever and ever. Hallelujah!

1 comment:

SMS said...

Cute px lady!