Monday, April 23, 2007

Missing my little boy (and wife)


This is David, and this is my first time to blog. Ellen and Seth are leaving tomorrow to spend a week in NC. After 6 years of marriage, being apart every once in a while is not a new thing. In my last two jobs, Ellen has had significantly more vacation time than I have, so sometimes she has availed herself of a little extra time with family and friends, while I put a little more time in at work and looked forward to seeing her when she got back. And of course I will miss Ellen--I always do. But, yesterday it struck me. MY BABY is leaving me for a week. And I'm going to miss him! It struck me that my love for Seth is newer and fresher, and it is going to be harder to be away this time because two loved ones will be gone instead of one.
It also surprised me how strong my love for Seth had become in such a short three months. Three months ago, Seth was tucked away in Ellen's tummy, incapable of being held, touched, swung, rocked, strolled, flown, or pacified. Now, just a short time later, I have a hard time picturing being away from him for a week. It's amazing how love works. God starts to build it in your heart for family and others, and you don't even notice how it is growing. You think that you're just going through daily life together, but before you know it, something comes up and all of a sudden your affection overwhelms you like a flood, and the strength and depth of it surprise you. Those nights of waking up, of rocking, those days of diaper changes, holding, and praying, each little daily activity was not just a job but an act of love. And each little smile, squeal, gaze, or moment of peace melted my heart.
Well, to Ellen and Seth, I will miss you LOTS and LOTS. I hope you have fun being the celebrities for a week in NC. There are lots of friends and family who want to see you there. I will be thinking and dreaming of you and waiting till you come back to love you more.

1 comment:

Momma B. said...

Hope you have everyone back safely! Ellen, hope you had a good visit.