Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A new way to take pictures...

I don't have a lot to share today. Things are quiet, and I'm enjoying that. I'm learning that it's hard to get out with a baby. I'm relishing the days when I don't have to figure out how to get in and out of three stores with Seth. I have to think: should I use the stroller or the Bjorn? Should I use a combination of both? Yesterday, I put him in the Bjorn for our trips to Costco and Best Buy, and he sat in his baby carrier for the trip to Shoppers. All this maneuvering requires a lot of thought and advance preparation, and if I manage to go to three stores in my 2 1/2 hour window before the next feeding, I'm cuing the Rocky music in my head. =) But it's all worth it. Just look at that little face.
For my birthday, David got me the ultimate new mom present. Well, actually, it was so pricey that my parents and David got it for me, but he did all the initiating. I'm not getting another birthday present for the next couple of years, I think. All that to say, I'm now the proud owner of a Nikon D50 digital SLR camera. These pictures weren't taken with it. Sad to say, now that I have it, I can't replicate these poses, so these are from my little Kodak. I tried this morning with pathetic results on the sleeping pose, but maybe one day, I'll get it. I got some crystal clear, sharp, beautifully colored photographs of Seth crying while Mommy says, "Please, please, look peaceful." =) I have a gig worth of memory, so I should be able to recapture it with the 550 pictures I can take with that. =)

I do have a theory that after awhile, more isn't better, it's just more, at least as far as pictures are concerned. I remember when I paid $60 with a big rebate for my 256 mb card, and now I can get a gig for $20. But do I really need 4 gig? Do I really need to have that many pictures on my card? Can I even look through that many pictures to figure out which ones are the best? I like having the gig so I can take a lot and then delete them later if they're not great, but I think I'm getting into dangerous territory just having a 1 gig card. I think I've decided that I don't need to have more pictures around than I actually want to look through. I've put the last 5 years worth of photos into albums, and I just discovered that in the past 7 months, I've taken 200 photographs that were worth printing. That's a lot of photos. But it's not as many as I may take and want to print with this new camera. I guess I'm just calling for a little photo restraint, even when you have cute kids to take pictures of. New technology is great, but it's not great when it overwhelms you.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

One thing we learned when we got a new camera is that because your individual picture files are SO much bigger, they will take up more space on the card. For example, in our old camera, we could get up to 300 pictures on the card. Now we can only get about 80.

Enjoy taking pictures of your family! :)

Speechless Mom said...

I think the number of pictures on the card depends on the camera settings. My mother and I have the same camera, but my husband set ours so we can take twice the pictures she does. I'm not that technologically savvy to be able to explain how that's done and I think the quality of the pictures is slightly lower. I have little restraint when it comes to pictures. Zach just has too many cute poses and he changes each day so I want to remember. I don't always print them all out though. Some just stay on our computer. I think all new parents go through the have to take as many pictures as possible stage. Wish I knew a good way to decrease the picture taking, but my only solution has been day care. I'm not there to take pictures, which makes me sad. At least Zach loves day care and all his new pals, so it's a little easier knowing he's having a good time.

SMS said...

He is SO adorable.. you can really see his little features start to appear. He is starting more and more to look like a new little person ..instead of just a cute pink baby .. you know what I am trying to say here right? Very very cute and sweet..

Paula said...

How sweet and sooo cute! David looks like the perfect Daddy! I can tell he has that new father glow. :) Love you guys!

Momma B. said...

You want to know what cures the picture bonanza? More kids!! Poor Elise barely has any baby pictures. I was just surviving!! Love that sweet sleep pose!! He already looks so grown up. I can't wait to get my hands on him in a couple of weeks!