Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Baby-friendly Bible study...

This morning, I attended my first Community Bible Study in Alexandria! For those of you who aren't familiar with Community Bible Study, it's an interdenominational Bible study found in cities all over the U.S. The studies are expositional; for instance, right now, they're going through 2 Corinthians. There is homework everyday, and at the weekly meeting, small groups go through their answers together. After that, there is a short lecture from a teaching leader on the passage studied that week. If you've ever been in Bible Study Fellowship, they are very similar. I mentioned a few weeks ago that God ran me into the new mom's group leader for CBS at Shoppers. I'm so glad He did! Her group is tailor made for me at the moment, and I'm so thankful for the ability to still do Bible study with my little man in tow. Imagine if you will, 10 moms and 10 babies, all ranging in age from my little man at almost 5 weeks to about 8 months old. There are strollers pulled around the semicircle of tables and chairs. Some babies are sitting on the table, chewing on their toys. Some moms are breastfeeding while following along in the Bible. Some babies are sleeping on their mom's shoulders. If someone starts fussing, the leader and the members just talk louder. =) Though the other groups have to go to the sanctuary to listen to the lecture after discussion time is over, the new mom's group has a tv with a live feed of it. I was able to breastfeed Seth at his regular time while listening to the lecture. The study itself is meaty scripturally and provides me with accountability for my daily quiet time because I have to share my answers with the group every week. I've done this kind of study before with BSF, and I know the daily lessons can take some time to complete, but I'm excited about trying. And the great thing is that everybody is in the same boat, so they're very understanding if you haven't completed your whole lesson for the week. I talked to Rachel, and she is in a CBS in Greensboro, but they don't have a new mom's group. She was envious that there was one here for me. I'm very thankful. God has been good. But I guess if we want to study His word, He wants to pave the way for that. =)

1 comment:

Momma B. said...

Yeah! you got your links up!! I had a lot of fun catching up on what all you keep up with. Issac is too cute!!

ALSO, Yeah for baby bible studies!! God for you for jumping right in there!!