Wednesday, February 21, 2007

28 years ago today...

...God saw fit to bring me into this world. Yep, it's my birthday today! And what a birthday it is! David says that I couldn't wait to open my present, so I did it a month early. My little man will be four weeks on Friday. But let us harken back to a year ago in another time and another universe... it was my 27th birthday in Birmingham, AL. I was just starting my first round of injectable ovulation drugs (they didn't work), and I was sick as a dog. The shots made my estrogen levels go through the roof, and so many little eggs were growing that they were pressing on my ovaries and making me nauseous. On top of that, I had a bad cold. My mother-in-law and I went to a Beth Moore conference right before my birthday, and I had to leave a little early so that I could go to the bathroom at the coliseum and give myself a shot in the stomach in front of Alabama's largest gathering of Christian women. My poor mother-in-law had to hold my alchohol swabs and other paraphenalia. I can't imagine what the women in that restroom thought of me... I was feeling so bad that we didn't get to go to the play or the nice restaurant that David had chosen for me. It stank. What a difference a year makes! I'm 28, and I'm no longer looking at another birthday as another year of declining fertility rates. I look back at last year's birthday, and it feels like something that was happening to someone else. Almost. It was far too real for me to ever forget. So if you had a bad birthday last year, smile. This year could find you celebrating in a very different way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Happy Birthday, Ellen! This one is remarkably different from last year's. I hope the remainder of your Birthday is spent being loved up on by your two boys! David DID remember to bake you a Birthday cake, right?? :) Much love!
~Wendy

SMS said...

EEEK!!! I completely forgot to call you yesterday!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Birthday anyway!!! :)
That picture of you guys is BEAUTIFUL!!!! You look like a model :)
LOVE YOU!!!

Paula said...

Happy Birthday, again! What a perfect picture! You and Seth look so cute. You do look like a model, by the way! I think I see David in Seth's face! I really miss you. God is so Good! "I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I, the Lord, Who call you by your name, Am the God of Israel."- Isaiah 45:3 What a wonderful birthday present (Seth, your little treasure). Joy does come in the morning...we have an On Time God. :) He hears the cries of those of us who were once infertile! Love you!

Momma B. said...

You. Look. GREAT!! Hope you had a special day!