Tuesday, February 06, 2007

And now comes the crash...

High highs have low lows. Or so I always tell myself when the inevitable crash comes. Last week was wonderful, and I didn't nap when he napped. My week of Percoset ended, and my sleepy, dreamy baby changed yesterday. All of a sudden, he now has crying jags that don't end quickly, and he doesn't nap as well. Last night, or should I say this morning, I discovered that a baby can cry for 2 hours for no apparent reason. I cursed my one bedroom apartment soundly the night before last when I realized that Seth will wake my sleep deprived husband because my helpful mother is sleeping in the living room and I can't pace in there. I'm so tired that I have a headache, and I'm sick to my stomach. If Mom wasn't here, I think I'd be on the verge of collapse. So to all you moms out there who knew this was coming, pray for me when you stop laughing. I know it'll get better, but the adjustment period is a drag. Now I'm off to nap. Again.

5 comments:

Momma B. said...

Ok, so we knew it was coming but we also know that if you just give it a few more weeks you will find your groove and all will be. . .better. We are praying for you. I am so glad that your mom is there to help so at least you can get some rest during the day. Just stick with that schedule and it will all even out when he gets the hang of it. I'd say two or three weeks tops. You're doing great!! Hang in there!!

OH, And NO ONE is laughing!! We have been there too!

Speechless Mom said...

Thank goodness for your mother! Only if he stays up and cries consistently and inconsolably for more than 3 hours straight is something seriously wrong. He probably just misses the warm, comforting environment in his mommy's tummy. No loud noises, no hunger pains, no bright lights and no dirty diapers to contend with. So many new things all at once, but don't worry, he'll get the hang of it all pretty soon and so will you. Zach's crying checklist is dirty diaper, hungry, bored, tired and just plain cranky. I'm sure the list will continue to grow.

kristin said...

I appreciate your transparency in reporting the highs and the lows. It is in these times of extreme tiredness that we all wish God's promise of being "rest for the weary" was a little more tangible. :) I am thankful your mom is there for you!

Terri said...

You can throw in there some crashing horomones, too......that helped me when I was feeling so in love with Isaac but so tired and kind of sad, too. Just get David a good pair of earplugs, and pray that God will give him sound sleep. God's sustaining grace is available to you, dear, even at 3am. You're going to make it!

Chel said...

Yeah, that's pretty much how I remember those first weeks with both of my kids. But you'll get through it & you really will find your own little routine. (When you find yourself aching for the postman's daily visit... watching for him so you don't miss that tiny bit of grown-up conversation... you'll know that you're doing great.

And by the way, I have a theory that a little caffeine doesn't hurt at all. I got through many months of sleep deprivation on Diet Coke and Advil.