Monday, February 12, 2007

First day...

Well, I think we're going to survive our first day alone. Mom is gone, and David is at work, and Seth and I have enjoyed a pleasant, low key day at home. I even got a couple of things scratched off my teeny, unambitious to-do list. It's a miracle. =) He's napped pretty well, and I even got a shower, even though I did get out and discover he was crying in his snazzy new baby swing that he doesn't enjoy swinging in. =) How does one get a shower and get ready to go when baby is crying? Anybody have any tips? But I did manage to shower, dress, and even put on makeup, and we even took a little walk this afternoon to return a movie to the local RedBox at Harris Teeter. Terri (my fabulous sister-in-law) let me borrow her baby sling, and I'm in love with it. He falls asleep immediately as soon as I put him in it, and I can zip my jacket up around him and take a walk without worrying that someone germy will breathe on him or that he'll get cold. He's still in it right now, propped on my lap with a pillow. It's going to be feeding time at the zoo in a half an hour, and I'm afraid to interupt naptime by taking him out just yet. =) David and I were talking about the baby calendar that we got last night at dinner. It has little stickers that you can put on there for baby milestones, things like "first doctor's visit," and "first smile." We started thinking about all the first milestones that they don't include. Where is "first time he pees on you" (David has gotten peed on three times already despite his best efforts). What about "first time he screams for three hours at 3:00 a.m." or "first time his blowout ruins an outfit and you forgot to put one in the diaper bag so he spends the next three hours wrapped in two burp cloths." =) If you have any others you think Hallmark should include in their next baby calendar, let me know. But we're doing well today. I'm feeding him, and he's sleeping, and he seems generally happy, so I'm golden. What more can you ask for right now, I ask ya? I'm getting used to my new job, and like any new job, it takes time to get the hang of it. But I love seeing my little man's bitty feet sticking out of his sling. Those tiny toes still make me tear up. Drat those pregnancy hormones...

3 comments:

Momma B. said...

Yeah for a good day!! Don't worry about the shower thing. It will all happen soon enough. I either have to get ready before the girls wake up or take my chances later. But you'll figure out what works for you guys. Just remember this good day when the next bad day comes. There will be plenty of both. :) Love you, Sister!

Oh, and I have seen women who keep their babies in those slings all the time and can even feed them with out taking babyout! I am amazed!! I just never have seen them anywhere to buy one. Ask Terri where she got hers for me, would you?

Love Mommas said...

Hi Ellen,
I am a friend of Kelli and Dan's--I went to HSU with Kelli and we live in DFW are too.

Congratulations on your new little one! As Kelli said everything will come in time! The shower thing eventually gets figured out!

As for milestones...how about the first time the baby poops, pees, and throws up on you at the same time...yes it happened to me!

You are in our prayers!
heather

Robin said...

There should be a sticker for "first time he throws up in a fancy restaurant'! HA! There isn't a restaurant in Hoover that Robert hasn't thrown up in! Once it was so bad we left a $20 tip and ran out the doors. It was all over me, him, the table, the seat...you get the picture.

Showering is tough. As long as you know he's not hungry or hurt or has a poopy diaper, try not to let his crying get to you. He's just as anxious to be without you, as you are to be without him. You still need to take time to feel like a woman, not just a mommy. It's easy to lose sight of yourself as a person that needs comfort and verification as a being that needs love, when you are showering love and comfort and attention to this helpless little one 24/7.

Love you,
Robin