Tuesday, August 28, 2012

late summer day…

DSC_0125-001

Love Ben’s expression here… “Yep, just chillin’ with my homie in the clothes basket, yo.”

Today is the start of kindergarten for many of my friends on Facebook. I’m seeing lots of pics of grinning kids wearing backpacks.

Us? Nope. Not starting until next week. David’s parents are taking the big boys for several days, and this week worked best for them, so there ya have it. It’s nice that we’ve got the option to be flexible.

Seth has been sleeping longer, having a harder time getting up, and napping more the last few days. The last couple of days, he’s been complaining that his legs hurt. I’m keeping an eye on it, but I really think that this is a growth spurt coming on. The same thing happened to me, and I remember how painful it could be… Poor guy.

Ben and I enjoyed a little quiet time before I dragged the sleepyheads out of bed. After he went down for nap, we had a marathon reading session. I have some new favorite children’s books. The boys love “Saint George and the Dragon” by Margaret Hodges. Beautiful illustrations, Caldecott winner, and Seth is really inspired to ask me to define the big words for him. We also love “The Adventures of Awesome Man” by Michael Chabon.

Then I started teaching Seth to tell time. He’s been begging me to learn for awhile. I borrowed a workbook and a learning clock from a friend, but it looked more involved to me than what he was asking for. So I used this Kindle download that I’d gotten a while back (when it was free). We’re not through with it yet, but he’s catching on really well. I think it’d be worth $4. There’s plenty of quizzing, and that’s fun in an electronic format.

A little playdough sculpting (Seth made a cool frog!), and then time for lunch. Ben is learning to love sliced banana, but he throws PB&J on the floor. We’ll try that again next week.

After lunch, we went to a local nature park and playground. We hiked the “secret” trail through the woods to the playground, and Seth got to swing a giggling Ben over and over again. I’m using my Beco carrier as a backpack now, and I love that, and so does the little man. They were getting tired toward the end, but I was able to use my secret weapon. “Hey, guys, lets see how fast you can get to me! 1, 2, 3, ……” =)

I love that everything is an adventure to them right now. I love that I get to be around whenever Seth has a random question (“Mommy, are mommy ducks blue?”), and I love that I get to answer it or help him find the answer. I do not love every single moment with them. For instance, the moment yesterday when they were all crying because they’d all had shots was not my favorite moment. BUT, I am grateful for this life I’ve been given. It’s pretty sweet right now…

No comments: