Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Caregroup baby shower...

Christine, Ruth, and Bethany at Taye's house for my shower.

Last night, I had my very first baby shower. Our church has small groups, or caregroups, and our new caregroup threw a shower for me. I walked in, and it was overwhelming to see all the work they'd put into this evening. There were streamers and balloons and a table of treats and a diaper cake! Mary, our caregroup leader's wife, had asked David what kinds of foods I liked, so there were a couple of cheesy dishes, as well as a bowl of gummy bears in honor of the main pregnancy craving I've had. =) Ruth was in charge of games, and I had to pick the best drawing of a baby drawn on top of your head with a crayon. We laughed and talked and ate, and I saw their generosity in so many things, from the shower details to the thoughtful gifts. David sent a letter to be read to me, and they all spent time praying for us before the shower ended. What a great group of godly women! In our church, you must join a caregroup to become a member. I didn't understand this at first, but I'm understanding it more and more all the time. We go to a large church, so real relationships don't happen much just on Sunday morning. Our elders know this, so that's why caregroup is so important to them. Caregroup is where you serve the body of Christ and are served by it. It's where we come with our problems and joys, and it's where we help each other seek God for both of them. I have experienced that each member of our caregroup really takes it seriously to care for the other members. If they didn't, they wouldn't go to so much trouble to reach out to me, a really new member, with such selfless love. We've only been in this church for about six months, and they gave me a shower fit for a queen. I am really humbled by their selfless generosity. We are not alien and fatherless here. We have found a church home with the body of Christ, and I am in awe of it. What a gift for me, a girl in transition who thought there just might not be any baby showers. Our God is good to provide even that non-essential thing to bless me. Thanks, girls, for serving the Lord through reaching out to me in this way.


An amazing diaper cake, courtesy of Christine. I can't imagine how much time she put into this. Thanks, Christine!

Me joyfully opening my goodies. =) That's Kristin sitting beside me on the couch.

Julie and Taye. They have such nice smiles.

Mary and Christine hamming it up.




No comments: