Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Anne and Diana, the continuing story...

This weekend, Sarah came to visit me. Well, at least, that's the name that the rest of the world knows her by. To me, she has another name. She's Diana, and I'm Anne. See, Sarah and I share a fascination with all things Anne of Green Gables, so somehow, many years ago, we started calling ourselves by those names. It's just one of a lifetime of inside jokes we share. And I'm not kidding about the lifetime part. Sarah and I met when we were 8 years old. My first memory of her is being at her house and playing with her bunny, Cottontail. We grew up together, and that statement is filled with multifaceted layers. I never had a sister, but she's the closest thing that I had to one. I have lots of sisters in Christ, but nobody else that I shared all the good and bad of the growing up years with. There is something special about somebody who has known you- all the many faces of you as you grow and change, and the core of you that remains from the minute they met you as a little girl. Sarah knows me, and I know Sarah. I know the good, the bad, and the ugly about her, and she knows the same about me. We've fought like sisters, and we've made up like sisters. There have been times when we've had to put up with each other, but in those times, neither of us gave up. Because you don't give up on your sister. And eventually, she'll grow out of it. =) I know we both believed this about the other, and it's proven to be true. She gets me. It's nice to be gotten. I've moved a lot, and I've changed a lot. So has she. But there are some things that we just don't need to explain. A look is sufficient, or one word can trigger a host of memories. It's friendship comfort food. You put a lot of years into stirring that pot of soup, and after years of homeschooling together, going to college together, and figuring out married life together, each time you taste it, it gets more satisfying. When I was younger, I was a pretty pushy broad. I thought I had it all figured out, and I told Sarah my philsophies on life quite regularly. I pushed too hard, and I was a big ol' know-it-all sometimes. She put up with it. =) I'm getting older, and I've experienced more, and now I have more compassion. And I give Sarah credit for this: she knows the pushy person I used to be, and she doesn't assume that I'm that exact same person anymore. Despite knowing years of that me, she has graciously given me the gift of believing that I can change for the better. Yeah, I'll still always be a pushy broad in some ways, and I'm sure we both know it. But she believes in my capacity to become better, more godly, even though she's seen years of my bad behavior. That's a priceless gift. Thanks, Diana. So it's with great sadness that I mourn the loss of her mind. Yep, she's gone crazy, as evidenced by the picture below.
She went shopping in Manhattan during the Christmas season for little Seth. Yep, folks, she's certifiable. =) And she bought him way too much. I promise, I won't post all my baby gifts on this blog. But she has her own blog, and I thought she'd get a kick out of this picture, so here it is. I love them all, but my favorite item is the cool diaper bag. I'd been looking all over for the perfect one. All I had to do was give her my diaper bag specifics, and voila, she found the perfect thing. I'm not surprised. She knows what I like. Aren't we glad it's not Amy Grant, side ponytails, and balloon barrettes anymore? =) I love you, Diana. Thanks for sharing this new adventure with me.

No comments: