Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Finding a doctor...

Hi, everybody! Well, this morning a big load was taken off my mind. I've been hunting for an OB here, and I've been worrying that I wouldn't find the right person, wouldn't be able to get in with them for months, would be halfway through my pregnancy without seeing a doctor again, etc. I know some of these fears are irrational, but I was worried. It's tough when you don't have anybody you know that can recommend a doctor to you. What hospitals are good? How are you supposed to know? I've been praying about this for a littlle while now, and it looks like I got this answer to prayer! We'd asked around our new church for recommendations, and we found out what hospitals in the area are good for women's care, good NICU, etc. Unfortunately, it was looking a little more tricky to find a doctor. Some kind and thoughful women at our new church referred me to a doctor, but his more natural approach to childbirth is something that doesn't appeal to me right now with my history of infertility and miscarriage. At this point, I want a hospital with the most state of the art equipment available, a NICU on call if my child even looks funny when it comes out, and ultrasounds available if the baby stops moving for two minutes. =) I know that the success of this pregnancy isn't up to me, it's God's decision, but it makes me feel better to have a medical team on standby. After we got that referral, David remembered a friend from DC clerkship days who still lives in this area and whose wife has been pregnant here. This guy was so enthusiastic about their OB that he called us five minutes after David sent the email to recommend this practice. He said they'd used 3 other OBs who hadn't even come close to being as good as this practice. They had also experienced the heartbreak of miscarriage, and he said that their doctor gave them extra ultrasounds and wonderful treatment when they were worried along the way. It sounds like they have our concerns and our outlook on things right now, so they were the perfect people to get a referral from. I called to make an appointment, and I was really impressed with the receptionist. My appointment is only a couple of weeks away, but she assured me twice without being asked that if anything happened before then, I should call right away, and they would fit me in. It felt like being with my clinic in Birmingham. I almost cried with relief. I'm praying that this place is the perfect doctor's office for us, and at this point, I'm thrilled to have an appointment scheduled. Thank you to everyone who's been praying for me to find a doctor.

2 comments:

Momma B. said...

Great News! SO glad to hear it!

Anonymous said...

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Help us, Lord, to keep looking for that substance and that evidence that you have planned for us. May we be able to cast out fear each time it comes knocking at our door. Thank you, Lord, for you are our Life. Amen.

Love you all,
Pam