Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Hello, Peanut!

We had our first ultrasound today! Since I'm still with the infertility clinic for monitoring, they take care of everything. Anne was the nurse who did our ultrasound, and when she called us back, she gave me a hug and said a heartfelt congratulations. Then she looked at David and said, "He was right, wasn't he." Then I remembered that she'd called us back when David had wanted an early pregnancy test because he was just sure I was pregnant (we didn't get one). Anyway, Anne is a thoughtful and cautious person, and she wants to make sure that you don't worry, so before she started the ultrasound, she said, "This is six weeks. Everything is just fine if we only see an egg sac and no baby. Not seeing a heartbeat is fine, too." Well, our baby was ready to show off. He/she was sitting there, looking like he was leaning back in a little recliner. We could see his little body, and his heart was beating away. Anne said, "Wow, you can see the heartbeat even before I magnify the picture." It was amazing. Before today, there was part of me that wondered if they'd gotten my chart mixed up with someone else's, and this whole pregnancy thing was a big mistake that they'd made. I was a little nervous because I have had probably about 50 ultrasounds at this clinic, and they might give me bad news or good news about our treatment, and you would just never know which it would be. I was a little afraid we'd get more bad news. But it wasn't bad news! There's a baby there, and his heart is beating! It's amazing to realize that there is a whole separate life inside of my body. It's so separate that it has its own heart, completely apart from mine. I've been careful about eating well before, but I think I'm going to be more careful about eating well now that I've seen who I'm eating for. David teared up when he saw the baby. I think it's tough for the dad to feel like pregnancy is real when he can't feel or see evidence of the baby yet, so I was really glad he got to see our little peanut. Please just keep praying for us. We're moving full swing into moving time with all its little details. I'll probably write more on that later. Craziness!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIPPEE!!!!

Chris can attest to the fact that I am literally jumping up and down for joy. :)

We praise God for his grace in your lives.

Momma B. said...

How exciting!! I get weepy everytime I think about your little peanut!! God is so GOOD!