Monday, February 06, 2006

Some thoughts on Valentine's

I really like rainy mornings sometimes, especially when I don't have to go anywhere as soon as I get up. In winter, they're especially nice. I can wake up and hear the raindrops outside my winter. It makes it feel warm and cozy, and I get up and put on my comfiest clothes and go to the computer to check my email. Ok, well, the first thing I do is go to the fridge to get my morning addictive beverage of choice, Dr. Pepper, but then I come into the office and sit down at the computer. Rainy days seem to put me in the mood to write for some reason, so I thought I'd write all of you.

Yesterday, I had a Valentine card making party. I know you're all going, "What is that?" because that's what most of my guests said when I invited them. I got the idea out of Better Homes and Gardens. You just get together a bunch of friends and a bunch of crafts supplies and make Valentines for all your friends and family. So that's what I did. I bought construction paper at the parent teacher store, and I diecut hearts out of it at work. I borrowed cool scissors from friends that scrapbook. I made a cake and some heart shaped sugar cookies and some strawberry lemonade, nothing too fancy. And I put Frank Sinatra's favorite love songs on the stereo. My guests really got into it, and I hope they enjoy getting to send homemade Valentines this year.

Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. I think its partly because its a week before my birthday, so I usually clean up in February. =) It's also because I'm a hopeless romantic, and I want everybody to know how much I love them. This really took off for me in high school. I started making Valentines for everybody- parents, brother, aunts, uncles, grandparents, friends. I figured that Valentine's Day shouldn't just be for people who were dating or married. Everybody needs to know how much they're loved and appreciated, especially those that aren't dating or married. After all, Love himself never dated or married. He never experienced romantic love, but He gave a love that was greater and stronger and more wonderful than the most perfect expression of that. That's hard for me to imagine sometimes. My own love is so puny and selfish in comparison.

I'd like to thank my daddy for being my first Valentine. He was the first man to make me feel special and appreciated on this day. I always got candy and a Valentine from him. My box wasn't as big as Mom's, but that's to be expected, I guess. =) I was secure in Dad's love, and he taught me what a good, honorable, and loving man looks like. Daddy, you're a big part of the reason that I now have such a wonderful Valentine to give me the big box each year. Thank you.

Well, I'd better run. I have a moutain of laundry to do, I've gotta do the weekly shopping, and I have to start making a study guide on British Evangelicals today. If you're having a rainy day where you are, enjoy it.

2 comments:

Momma B. said...

FaithLyn and I made Valentine cards today. (2/7) Thanks for the fun idea! We had so much fun. Elise got to go feed the horses with Dan so we all had fun. Love to all!!

Anonymous said...

Valentine's Day is a special day. I appreciated what you said about your Dad, because mine did the same thing. I love that tradition and hope we can pass it on to our kids! : ) Love ya!!
(by the way, this is Rachel : )