Tuesday, July 05, 2011

homemade salsa with canned tomatos…

Homemade salsa is soooo good. I didn’t know what I was missing out on until I started making this, and now I think I’ll never go back to the canned stuff. It’s also full of flavor and FAR less salty.

This recipe is also from Good Cheap Eats, but I’m putting it here for those of you that won’t click over. I know who you are. =)

2 15 oz. cans of fire roasted diced tomatos OR 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatos

1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, rinsed well and coarsely chopped

1/2 sweet onion, chopped

1 serrano or jalapeno chili, stem removed and seeded, finely chopped OR 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (cut up the pepper while wearing rubber gloves or face the consequences =)

1 Tablespoon lemon or lime juice

salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Serve with chips.

Seriously, it’s that easy. The fresh cilantro makes all the difference in the world. And now that you have the salsa, you can use some of it to make a big batch of mexican rice to freeze…

No comments: