Sunday, February 25, 2007

A weekend of firsts...

David took me to the Old Ebbitt Grill in downtown DC this Friday night for my birthday dinner. The Ebbitt is a Washington landmark; check out www.ebbitt.com. Built in 1856, it is one of the most famous watering holes around for presidents and congressmen. The decor is Victorian era saloon, complete with bow-tied, suspendered waiters, antique gas lamps, and stuffed heads bagged by Teddy Roosevelt over the bar. We both had filet mignon for a bargain price, and it was great! I loved it, and best of all, they have free valet parking, so you don't have to try to find a spot on the street. This was Seth's first restaurant experience, and he was a good boy. He slept the whole time, so David and I got to have a real date.

Check out the mural. See my husband's workplace? There was another one of the White House that was also cool.
These are the deep fried Oreos that we enjoyed for dessert. I highly recommend them if you're ever there...
Friday was also the first time that Seth visited the Court. We took him around to meet some of the clerks and secretaries, and I even got to park in the Court garage. That made the whole little adventure a lot easier, let me tell you. On Saturday night, we left the little guy with his first babysitter. Our friend, Daveed, just published his first book, and we went to his party. It was literally 5 minutes away, and we were only going to be gone a couple of hours. Still, it was really strange to be leaving phone numbers and instructions with Jen Arnold, and when we walked down the hall together, I had a momentary desire to turn around and go back for him. But we went, we saw and were seen, and we got home early and hung out with Jen for a little while. I've braved leaving Baby for the first time, and it was just fine.
This morning, it started snowing hard right as we were leaving for church. The parking lot was so slick that we turned around and just went back inside. Since it snowed hard for several hours afterward, I think we made a good call. And..we got to hear a Sovereign Grace sermon anyway. =) It wasn't from our local church; we downloaded from the one in Bloomington, MN where they had a special sermon from a member of their congregation and new caregroup leader, Vance Whitaker. Yep, my brother preached to me via MP3 this morning. I am biased because he's my brother, but I really do think it was great, objectively speaking. I'm thankful for the leadership at the church in Minnesota that recognizes the gifts of its laypeople and utilizes them in this way occasionally. Anyway, he preached on personal evangelism and the story of Phillip the Evangelist and the Ethopian eunuch. If you'd like to hear his sermon, go to www.sovgracemn.org and go under "Resources" and "Audio Sermons." His is titled, "Empowered!!! Phillip the (Personal) Evangelist."

2 comments:

Paula said...

Speaking of firsts, Seth is about to be one month old! Yep, in a matter of hours. :)

Momma B. said...

We were lusting over your yummy dessert. We are on another dessert holiday so we just look at the yummy pictures!!

Good for you for going out...it's way easier to start now instead of when Seth is used to only YOU!! That's when it's hard to leave, when you hear him wailing all the way down the hall. :) Glad you guys had a fun weekend.