Saturday, December 30, 2006

Family time at Christmas...

We went to Oak Ridge for Christmas break this year. For the past several years, this has been our plan. David's brother and his family were only off at Thanksgiving because of Dan's job, so we spent that holiday with his side. And, Christmas has also been the time when Vance and Terri were most likely to be able to come, so we'd see them them. It worked out. Dan's job has changed, and we're in transition, so most likely, we'll be spending some Christmas' with David's family from now on, but this Christmas was another with my kin. It was full of family down time, and I treasure that. The picture above is my favorite picture from this trip. Isaac found Mom's pot cabinet. I vividly remember loving to play in this cabinet as a child. It was right on baby level, and the pots made the most satisfying crashing noise. I loved it. It gave me warm fuzzies when he opened it up and started banging away. We come full circle... Oh, he's also wearing his cousin's ducky bib. We had to decorate him for my shower, too!

This is where we spend a lot of time whenever my family gets together. My parent's house is not that big, but my mom planned it out so that the kitchen would be one of the largest rooms in the house. She was smart, becuase that's where we spend most of our time. Now that I have a sister who loves to cook as much as Mom and I do, it's guaranteed that we'll always be hanging there when we get together. Here I am in my apron. It's a wonder I can still tie it. Dad looks dour, but he believes that his smile is less than appealing, so he doesn't smile for pictures. That doesn't mean he isn't happy on the inside, though. =)


Ok, Vance and Terri claim that they didn't plan this, but they did get dressed to go to the gym in the same room. I suspect they might've been trying to look cutesy in their matching college shirts, but who knows, they could be telling the truth. Isaac has a fun habit these days of reaching from one person to another. Whoever's holding him, he thinks it might be more fun to go to the person standing next to them. He'll stay, give them a hug, and move on. Hey, at least he's a cuddler. And I appreciate that he wanted his aunt to play with him a lot this Christmas. I like to think that he knows me and recognizes some of my mannerisms from his daddy. But he's only 11 months, so I could be kidding myself. But this kid is sharp. He did find the tv remote this year, and he figured out how to push the button and change the channels. He was fascinated, and he knew that the button would change the channel. Pretty good for a kid without a tv at home. I think he's a baby genius, but I know I'm biased.
We came back from Christmas holidays on the day after Christmas so that I could be around here a month before my due date. My son is due in less than a month, Jan. 25! I've washed and put away all my baby clothes, and that was so much fun. I loved looking at the little tiny wash cloths and socks and baby hats. It's hard to believe that he'll be wearing them soon. Now I have to get some projects finished in a hurry! Usually we spend New Year's with some college friends, but we won't be doing that in NC this year. But...Perry and Amanda from college days will be coming down from PA to spend New Years with us this year! So we will get to play spades anyway! That reminds me, I'd better go clean the bathroom and finish the dishes! So if I don't post again, Happy New Year! Oh, and David's mom and dad, if you're reading this, David's at work all day, so that's why we haven't called. He's been working a lot since we got back. We'll call soon; we promise.

2 comments:

sarahdodson said...

Hi, Ellen. I stumbled across your blog through a different blog. I like your style of writing:) I'm thrilled for you getting so close to your due date. After 6 years of marriage, we had our first 9 months ago. WHAT A BLESSING! Enjoy your last month being pregnant- such a neat time.

SMS said...

Vance's family is SO adorable!!! I love this post too!!! You are on a roll baby :) They all look so sweet and happy and that tiny Vance playing in the pots in a kitchen that feels as familiar as my own mothers made my laugh out loud and smile with watery eyes.. LOVE it.. Happy New Year sweetie!!!