Tuesday, October 16, 2012

mother’s minutia….

DSC_0011

The boys are watching “Kipper the Dog” on Netflix. Even Ben. Yes, I prop him in the little rocking chair that was mine when I was a baby, and I let him watch with Seth and Evan. That little British puppy has changed their vocabulary for the quirkier. =)

I’ve got a chicken pot pie in the oven. I have a desire to make one every few months, and every few months I do, and I regret it. However, this regret seems to be quickly forgotten because I don’t remember why I vowed never to make another the next time the urge strikes.

I stink at pie crust. This time I tried one made with Bisquick. (Don’t ask me why I bought a giant box of Bisquick at BJ’s. I usually avoid baking mixes, but I did, and I need to use it up.) We’ll see how that turns out. I can’t bring myself to put canned cream of chicken soup in there, so I make my own roux on the stove. And I’m cheap, so I passed up the pre-made pie crusts at the grocery store. Yada yada. Anyway, that leaves me stirring and chopping and all in the middle of the afternoon when the boys are awake and fussing. I want to tear my hair out. Must. not. make. chicken. pot. pie. again. until. Ben. is. 5.

I probably shouldn’t be writing. I’m not in the best of moods. I came down with a ridiculous amount of health problems over the weekend. I already had a cough for at least a week, and then I had a bun at an authentic Chinese grocery store, and that likely led to an itchy outbreak of hives, and about the time that the hives started worsening, I got a UTI. Then Ben and Seth both came down with the cough.

I have been waiting for locusts to show up….

Thank God for my mom. She spent Monday with me so I could go to the doctor and fill prescriptions and start feeling better. I’m a little concerned that the UTI isn’t going away any faster than it is. She gave me a prescription for an antibiotic I’ve never had before, hoping to get the cough and the UTI at the same time, but I’m wondering if it’s working. Still having to take pain killer for that one…

Today has been a lot better than yesterday. We had school, I got everybody out the door and to the park for an hour of sandbox play, and I smiled while Ben crawled all over the wet wood chips and ate sand. I stripped him down to his diaper before putting him in the car. I can tell that I have 3 children when I let the baby have free rein like this…. Didn’t happen with Seth or Evan.

No comments: