Wednesday, October 17, 2012

bug day…

DSC_0012

I am definitely not up to date on chronicling our homeschool journey here, but I thought I’d show you what we did one day in between rowing Five in A Row books. I decided to take a little break to follow Seth’s interest. He asked me to get him some books about bugs from the library because “bats eat bugs, and I’m a bat.” (We are definitely into some imaginary play around here. =)

“Bugs are Insects” by Anne Rockwell was a great kindergarten friendly book I got from the library, so we read that. Basically, it was all about how to classify insects vs. arachnids vs. true bugs.

Then we did a little hands on science from Janice VanCleave’s “Play and Find Out about Bugs.” I loved this little experiment. I cut pipe cleaners into short pieces, and we used those to give our insects 6 legs and antennae. We also taped some pieces of paper on a few of them to make wings that we could insert into our playdough bugs’ backs.

We rolled playdough into balls and strung them onto a toothpick. The smallest ball was the head, the middle size was the thorax, and the biggest size was the abdomen. The hands on visual really seemed to help get the parts of the bug stuck in their little brains. =)

We did this about a week and a half ago, and I heard the boys chanting “Head! Thorax! Abdomen!” to David just the other night. =)

DSC_0015

 

DSC_0013

No comments: