Friday, July 13, 2012

and they say boys aren’t dramatic…

As has happened a couple of times before, Seth started crying in the van tonight when he started thinking about growing up. See, he will tell you with sobs and wails, he “doesn’t want to grow up EVER!” This is because he wants to live with us forever, and he would miss us if he had to grow up.

By the time we got out of the van at the walking trail, he was wiping away real tears. I gave him a big hug and told him that he would be with us as long as he needed to be. This led to wailing about how he didn’t want to grow up too fast, and then I had to admit that he’d totally gotten this idea from me affectionately telling him that. Ughh. Parental words coming back to bite me…

His happy-go-lucky 3-year-old brother had reminded Seth of the future by telling us that he hadn’t gotten to go to college yet. David said, “You can go to college later, Evan.” “Oh, THANK YOU, Daddy,” Evan chirped. He made it sound like we had promised him a cookie or something.

Later on, David asked Evan why he wanted to go to college. His answer? “I don’t know. You’re grown up when you go to college.” Not a trace of unhappiness about this, by the way.

Seth started sniffing sadly. “He wants to leave me and not be my brother anymore when he goes to college.”

Is it totally wrong that we were laughing hysterically about this after they’d gone to bed? If it is, I don’t want to be right…. =)

Poor Seth. I gave him the “worry about things that aren’t happening for a bajillion years” gene. And Evan? The apple didn’t fall far from the David tree….

No comments: